Free Trials Training Youtube Clips

sherconoob

You've made some really Fantastic vids here, Sherconoob! :thumbup::icon_salut:

The advice to "Be Looking Ahead; Not At Your Front Tire" at the 2:55 point in the latest Creek Bed video is absolutely Spot On. The last trial I rode had a lot of creek beds to ride, and I got bit, numerous times, by not heeding that advice. Sigh..... Some of us learn a little slower than the rest, I guess...... :stupid:

Thanks again for all your work on this entire series. It's very much appreciated, and they help a lot!

Jimmie

Jimmie,

I was doing the same thing up hills! Watching the ruts too close in front of me instead of the big picture ahead so got outta shape. Geez, it was my undoing a few times until I learned to look just that bit further ahead and loosen up.

Just two weeks ago I attempted a hill that was just plain scary to me and I didn't have the courage for it. It was bugging me every time I rode past!!! I had to have a go... 2/3 up I had to lay it into the mountain and dig in bars and foot peg to stop sliding down. I eventually got it up the hill and came back down to wife on her bike watching me with the size of dinner plates! "That was a fail" I said.

Later in the day I had two more goes.... both were successful without even a dab! I was consciously looking further ahead as I went up and a bit more loose in the legs and arms. Yay!! Small victories! I was still "packing it" going up though!! hehehehe

Mags

• Like 1

awesome to hear, mags. re: the looking ahead, a few years ago i read something about that when you look ahead there's a subconscious part of your brain that is processing the earlier info it picked up about the terrain ahead and gets you through the immediate stuff, while the conscious part of the brain can process the more distant terrain.

can't find any reference for it so it might just be made up by god knows who, but i'm pretty sure it had a sound neurological base to it. whatever, it works!

While we're sorta on the subject of "looking ahead" as we ride:

Is this pretty much applicable to trying to ride the length of a log?

Jimmie

good question jimmie, i'd be keen to know too. i'm crap at riding along logs but need to work on it.... one thing i've noticed is that everyone seems to vary on where they look when static balancing - some look at the horizon, some down at the front wheel, others in between. i wonder if there's no ideal angle and depends on what suits the individual? with slow or static stuff only, of course. everything else i know the standard is look ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

BetaBoy (formerly Sherconoob),

In the vid where you show the harder line it doesn't seem like there is a way through for novice? Or is it just the way its filmed showing the higher grade route and there is a beginner way through?

Mags

BetaBoy (formerly Sherconoob),

In the vid where you show the harder line it doesn't seem like there is a way through for novice? Or is it just the way its filmed showing the higher grade route and there is a beginner way through?

Mags

could specify which section mags? e.g. 2m 34 sec into the vid or something like that? i do think they said there was a clubman section where there was no intro line because it was a bit too tricky. we had two new guys start that day, both had barely ridden their trials bikes at all. one did at least half the clubman sections and i think the other guy did all of them. i have yet to ask how many offs they had when it was pretty slippery!

Sections 2 and 6 had a separate Intro sections next to the main section. That was the one after the all in one and the last one where you spent most of the time filming and the one where you thought it was hard. The intro section ended next to where the section you rode started.

Edited by bullylover

Oh ok! That explains it. Intro section at times were next to the harder grades. Just saw a couple of sections I thought "no way going through there", not YET, anyway.

Almost got out to you guys (WDTC) last Sunday (even printed out the membership forms for both of us) but it was not to be, unfortunately! We own a busy Veterinary Practice (small animal practice, in the city) and the patients come first, especially hospital cases on fluids.

Got some maintenance/cleaning done on the bikes though...

Mags

• Like 1