Will Not Start

roger66

hi all new to trials and also two stroke engines but me and my two boys have all got beta technos each my youngest has a 1999 200 cc the other day when we went to start it after endless kicks it refused to fire .I removed the plug which was wet with fuel and a lovley blue spark re fited the plug and tryed again and it started but pumped out black oily liquid from the exhaust .after striping and emptying the fuely black liquid out of the pipe and giving the whole system a de coke put it all back together and gues what it wont start any one got any ideas please there's a 15year old with a upside down smile .

Leave the fuel off, kick it wide open throttle about 10x with the plug removed. Put a fresh plug in and start it normally. Let it warm up, run it through the gears, and pull the plug again and check the color. Should be a cinnamon brown.

If the pipe was full of fuel then most likely you stored the bike with the fuel on which would have been okay if the needle valve in the carburetor was closed. Either your needle valve is bad or the bike was oriented in such a way that the floats were open. Not sure about the Techno but on the Rev 3 if you point the front wheel downhill the floats open up the needle valve and you flood, point it uphill and you run lean. If the old plug is clean you might be able to reuse it for a bit. Just make sure you kick it over a bunch with the plug removed to blow out all the accumulated fuel.

STOP!!! If your bike is flowing fuel do NOT kick it over with the plug out. Take it from someone who's watched flames shoot out either side from doing the same. I got lucky as it only cost me the hair on both arms. Could have cost a house if my nephew wasn't quick with the extinguisher. Better to waste a few plugs. Even better to tear the carb apart an fix the fuel issue.

Where's the ignition source? I suppose if you were dumb enough to leave the plug in the boot and left it sitting in contact with the head you might have an issue. So let me rephrase:

Leave the plug off the bike and sitting on the bench. Kick the bike over 10-15x to clear the flooding.

I've done this literally hundreds of times.

Actually you should hold the kill button down while clearing the excess fuel. Had a friend light up a Yamaha snowmobile in his garage, still on the trailer and hooked to his van. Luckily got it out to the yard and dumped it off the trailer. Total loss, brand new never ridden.

Hi

I ride my 1999 Beta Techno 250 in a trial competition virtually every week.

If yours was running ok when you last took it out and now it is difficult to start, or just won't start then this is what to do before you do anything else at all.

To avoid difficult starting, or not starting, it is necessary to dry the air filter foam and housing after EVERY SINGLE TIME that it is taken out. The amount of water in the foam filter and air filter housing will vary, depending on the weather, temperature (cold = condensation) the route, especially if you have been in puddles or streams and of course the hose pipe/pressure washer afterwards. The amount of water varies from just being damp to soaking wet, with 10mm of water in the bottom of the air filter housing. Damp or slightly wet on just the tip of the filter will result in several kicks to start it. More water means even more difficulty, including refusal to start.

First, dry out the air filter housing with paper kitchen towels. Then, squeeze out the foam filter and put it on a radiator until it is bone dry. Mine will then start 1st or rarely 2nd kick every single time. Any more kicks, then the filter is wet (with water) and needs drying.

Fuel leaking from the carb, when not running but with the fuel tap open? Mine does it when it is more than 1/4 full. If the tank is full, then it leaks fuel with the tap closed as well. However, it never goes into the engine, always ending up on the floor. Providing that fuel is getting to the carb, I don't think that this would influence starting.

Tony

Edited by stpauls

thank you all for the help .not been able to get plugs to day I forgot I had jury service to day and for the next 2 weeks my son might be abke to pick a couple upbefore the weekend dose any one know what plug goes in the 200 cc techno cheers.

MIxture set too rich? - unburnt fuel entering exhaust

Air filter not clean? - enriches mixture

Wrong type of plug? - Inefficient burn

Float valve not sealing? - Carb flooding

Float height not correct? - Carb flooding

2 stroke oil/petrol ratio mix incorrect? Inefficient burn and excess oil in exhaust

Choke mechanism faulty? - rich mixture

Or could be a combination of either?