Hi - New Member With Bultaco Question ?

badgert4

Hi there,

I've just got hold of this beauty and I'm gonna restore it and compete in twin shock trials . Does anyone out there know what year it is roughly ? Frame no on steering head is JB-15100484 if that helps . I've just taken the top end off and I now know the motor is a 5 speed 350 .

Any info greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Lee

post-19647-0-25429600-1393381217_thumb.jpg

Dave,

One thing thats strange is my frame rails dont go under the motor like other 74/75 models I've seen photos of . My down tube stops at the front where the bash plate bolts on . Is that correct ?

Cheers

Lee

it is difficult to see from the photographs but it looks like your bike is fitted with an aluminium bash plate. The rest of the frame looks to me standard. If I am correct your frame hs been modified. Quite a common mod in the day. Sammy Miller supplied a frame with this feature from early 70's but not done by Bultaco as standard until the 198A/199A in l978.

Stuart

Lee,

Looking at the new pictures just confirms my first guess. Standard frame modified. As Sparks2 has said, looks well done. That looks to be the original cross tube at the back with a plate to support the Alloy plate welded in quite neat and better than my own converted bike. Quite a lot of riders did this.

Interesting rear hub, two part design. I suspect correct part but only fitted for a short production period. Tank is also interesting. Correct fit for non UK bikes but I would have expected to see Alloy Homerlite tank fitted in UK.

If this was my bike I would be keen to keep this much as it is but I would loose the plastic mudguards. Does look like you have a small bit of polishing to do! But do not be put off I think my M10 was worse when I got it.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

Hole in alloy plate that aligns with the drain plug. My converted frame/bike (m198) has the lowest part of the bolt approximately 2-3mm above the lower surface. Never has a problem with damage but I do live in East Anglia!

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

The rear hub is the same as on my Model 124 250cc 1974 & will be correct for your bike.

The alloy sump guard conversion has been really well carried out, the whale tail especially is as on my 199A 1980 350.

Check the brake drum surfaces they were chromed when new this does come off but can be repaired with a cast iron lining with the rim in place.

Alloy guards do really suit the Bultaco bikes but are a little bit pricey if you are riding it.

Edited by trialsrfun