Tlr200 Alternator Wiring

trialtrial

Howdy all,

I am stripping down the wiring harness on my 1986 TLR200 to the bare minimum. I have everything all figured out except one thing. The alternator has 4 wires coming from it:

pink

yellow

black

white

Since I will have no lights I will connect pink-white together (see schematic for XR200 with no lights)

Black will go to the CDI

But what is the white wire? Is this a ground?

post-14078-0-52255000-1393480176_thumb.jpg

Edited by trialtrial

if you use that diagram you will burn out the cdi unit.dont know why I bother giving out advise.i only give advise if I know the correct answer.i wont bother again.

I am asking of advice and very much appreciate it. I would like to understand why it would burn out the CDI. My only guess is that the AC voltage coming from the alternator is very noisy and full of spikes. My assumption is that the CDI (a 5 wire AC based CDI) has the proper on-board rectification, regulation and filtering to operate properly. However this is a guess from an armchair which is usually about as good as any other "theory".

Although the XL185 diagram does not quite match the colors of the TLR200, here is what I gleen from it:

On my TLR200 CDI

* green & blk (w yel) - coil

* blue & green (w wht) - pickup

* blk (w red) - alternator

* blk (w wht) - kill switch

* grn - ground

On the Alternator

* pink

* yellow

* black - to CDI

* white???

The two things I am not sure about are:

(1) alternator pink and white: should these be shorted (as per the original schematic) or should they be left open circuit?

(2) alternator white: what the heck do I do with this?

thanks for the help.

Edited by trialtrial

I did a few measurements of the alternator:

White is essentially ground (its less than 0.8 ohms)

Pink and Yellow are 1.3 ohms - both have infinite resistance to all other wires including ground. It appears to match my original schematic as a ground isolated high current field coil.

Black to Ground (white) are 180 ohms - both have infinite resistance to pink or yellow. It appears to match my original schematic as a low current grounded field coil.

So one question has been answered: white is ground.

One question left: should I short the pink and yellow or leave them open. Even though I will not use headlights I would like to keep the coil intact, and also like not to have any back EMF proving resistance to the engine (I dont think - but not sure - the latter matters, its just my lack of knowledge in this area)

Maxbikes: I am still interested on why you are concerned that the XL185 schematic will destroy the CDI.

Edited by trialtrial

I'm doing the same thing. Resurrecting a TLR- for now I won't bother with lights etc- later I want to add lightweight lights etc.

Reading the schematic from the manual I see it as follows.

The white has a coil in the alternator, it say it is the lighting coil- although i havnt gone through the diagram to verify I'm correct. It goes to a regulator (but no rectifier). Looks a bit strange the way it is going to the earth side of the headlamp bulb...so maybe I full of it,

I don't see where leaving it open would be an issue, no circuit- no current flow. BUT maybe there is something I'm not seeing (MaxBikes post above leads me to believe I'm right).

Yellow and Pink wires go to the regulator/rectifier. This runs DC stuff.

Again, I don't see where leaving it open will hurt anything. Open= no circuit= no current.

Black goes to the CDI unit.

That's it from the alternator.

BUT there are two more wires that come from that area- the pulse generator (triggers the CDI) (green/white and blue/yellow)- they change colours.

Those certainly need to be connected to the CDI

And like mentioned the black/white is grounded to kill the engine.

Sure seems the way to go from what I see.

If I'm wrong, please correct me- mine runs fine like this now- but I have not tested to see that any damage was not done. Again, I don't see why it would.

Mark

Edited by lotus54

• 1 month later...

White is the AC headlight wire, all that is needed to run the bike are the black-red which is the source coil for the ignition and the green-white and blue-yellow which are from the pickup coil, the pink and yellow are charging wires and go to the regulator-rectifier . I just dead ended the white, pink and yellow wires, bent the ends over and put a piece of heat shrink over them, the wiring had already been cut at the stator by the previous owner.