Will Trials Help My Riding?

mutley22

Hi, new to the forum.

I've been thinking about getting another trials bike for a while now so I thought I'd get some advice before I part with some cash. I've had a couple bikes in the past, first had a beta rev 3 then a gas gas txt250. Really enjoyed riding them but all my mates ride motocross and its not much fun riding with about with them! So I sold them in the end. But I've been riding a few enduro events recently and want to get into trials more seriously because it might help my riding?? Is it worth joining a club and doing events? And is there any in Devon in the uk? And what's a good bike to be looking at in the £1-1.5k area? Any help appreciated

Riding Trials will help you to ride better in other diciplines (enduro, mx, & such). But if you're the type of person that enjoys challenges & achieving realistic goals in riding, Trials is very addicting in and of itself. It's both very fun, yet can be hard enough to really be a great challenge. And it typically doesn't beat you up very much, after a certain level of proficiency is attained, or if you have other riding experiences to draw from...... I think most Trials folks that I've met are genuinely GREAT people, which always helps. And Glenn above here makes a great point: a lot of past & current champions of enduro, mx, & such, have been very good trials riders.

Jimmie

To be honest with, I don't think trials will help your riding, it will TRANSFORM it. You will get better in every facet of your riding in other disciplines. The proof is in the pudding with all the greats in extreme enduro being ex trials riders. Taddy, Graham, David etc etc. The list goes on. Surely soon the name Bou will be added too! I have returned to trials after 20 years riding road bikes and dirt bikes, and have already felt improvements from doing so. Get on one!! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies! Now that I've read what everyone has said I'm definately keen on getting a bike and getting out and doing some riding. Just got to work out what bike. I guess knowone can tell me whats best for me, but I don't know anyone who rides trials so I can't go and ride a few different bikes to find out whats best for me, All I know is the Txt250 I had I didn't get on with it at all for some reason. Theres a Sherco 250 2003 for sale not far from me which looks like a good buy but I don't know anything about Sherco at all, would it be a safe bet as a sort of first bike? It's up for £1100, roughly $1800 and looks very tidy. One great thing I've noticed about trials bikes is that they get to a certain price and don't seem to depreciate! I've noticed some of the older tidy models seem to be going back up in price now. So I figure if I don't get on with the Sherco I could sell it and try another bike?

Mutly , take the plunge provided it's not a scrapper. Ride for youreself and no one else, join in and do your own thing ,as much of a paradox that sounds .

Enjoy your self pal !

Ted.

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies! Now that I've read what everyone has said I'm definately keen on getting a bike and getting out and doing some riding. Just got to work out what bike. I guess knowone can tell me whats best for me, but I don't know anyone who rides trials so I can't go and ride a few different bikes to find out whats best for me, All I know is the Txt250 I had I didn't get on with it at all for some reason. Theres a Sherco 250 2003 for sale not far from me which looks like a good buy but I don't know anything about Sherco at all, would it be a safe bet as a sort of first bike? It's up for £1100, roughly $1800 and looks very tidy. One great thing I've noticed about trials bikes is that they get to a certain price and don't seem to depreciate! I've noticed some of the older tidy models seem to be going back up in price now. So I figure if I don't get on with the Sherco I could sell it and try another bike?

This is the exact reason I purchased the Scorpa. After 2 outings I am already scouting for a more modern bike now, and don't think for one second that I will loose on the Scorpa. You can't go wrong really. :thumbup:

Saturday I was riding a Honda Shadow out of our used showroom and noticed how well I could ride a straight line through the doors at low speed

And I credited my trials riding

So ya, it rewires your brain in a good way

Saturday I was riding a Honda Shadow out of our used showroom and noticed how well I could ride a straight line through the doors at low speed

And I credited my trials riding

yep, i've noticed whenever i pull up at red lights nowadays on the DR650 i try to balance for as long as possible i the one spot.... almost makes traffic lights fun!

trials changed the way i ride my dirt bike now. almost always feet up in the gnarly stuff, better throttle and clutch control in slippery conditions, much smoother, the list goes on and on.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh fun, helps me slide the ass end of my Triumph when i'm doing the leave the brain at home thing.

Anti social motor cycling at it's finest!Try it ! Oh we all ready are ! Good ain't it!

LIFE IS BRILL ON BIKE'S !

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if you are still following this thread mutley, but even if you don't get a trials bike you can have a crack at cross training.... applying trials techniques to riding a dirt bike or enduro bike. our club has started a series of "how to" articles on crossing training if it's any help:

http://www.wdtc.org.au/cross-training-enduro/cross-training-enduro-skills.htm

Hi, All the things said above seem spot on to me. I have been an avid dirt rider going on 37+years so far. Involved in all aspects of go fast off road. 2 years ago I bought my first trials bike, a 99 Beta Techno 250 just to improve my go fast riding. I set up a bunch of trials obstacles in my backyard to ride on. Not only is it a great deal of fun, my go fast riding has improved tremendously because of it. I have a bunch more confidence in the tight stuff and can now ride stuff that has my enduro riding friends either stuck or paddling and pushing through. And my balance, clutch and throttle control are on a entirely different level. That helped my lap times on the mx track quite a bit. And I also learned that being in good shape for mx and enduro means little on a trials bike. My first few rides taught me that there are much different muscle groups used, indicated by the soreness that ensued after each ride! After 30 minutes of riding fair sized obstacles on the trials bike I feel like I just finished full hour moto on the mx track. So I'm in better shape now because of trials too. And hooked for life! I wish I would have started much earlier.