Showa Forks Help.

craigrushton

Hi All,

Stripped (315R) showa fork down for re-seal RH (damper one) as per manual, filled with correct oil 407cc and bled air out as per manual. But now doesnt seem to be working correctly, i.e. It seems to be springing back when compressed as if hydraulicing ! If I undo the top fork cap you can hear air comming out as if its building up pressure in its action !

Ive stripped and re-built a few times now and cant seem to get it working as it sould !

So am I doing something wrong ? Please if anyone can help on this one it would be very appreciated !

Ps, looked on internet for Showa forks diagram or maintainence, but nothing.

Cheers, Craig.

Hi,

No, With the fork top cap screwed in its still springy, if you undo the cap past the o ring (goes hiss) it works ok up and down .

Makes me think, is there a breather in the forks ? As your going from something long to short and surely the air inside the forks has to go somewhere ie, vent out ?

Cheers, Craig.

Thanks for getting back,

Just dont know on this one as there is not much I could of done wrong !!!!!

But the more I think the more im wondering about the air movement in the forks as it cant be a sealed unit as air has got to get in and out of the system some how, with the compression and extension of the forks when working !

As said any hep would be appreciated as im stumpped on this one !

Cheers, Craig.

Hi Craig.

Most Modern forks, like your Showa, are sealed completely, the air in some the forks acts like an additional cushion/spring.

As for bleeding the damper, this can take some time and a lot of compleet compressing and extending the fork leg. This is of course best done without the spring in the other fork leg.

Cheers,

Have the right hand fork split from the clamps and on its own on the bench. This is the damping fork and does not have any springs in.

So would have thought it should move up and down smoothly with the adjusters wound out (one at the top and one at the bottom of the fork leg) But they wont compress fully as acting like there is a a spring inside the fork leg.

Craig.

Is the top cap removed when you've got this problem? Because as stated above, in a closed fork leg, the air trapped inside will act like a spring at the end of the stroke...

• Like 1

Hi,

No, With the fork top cap screwed in its still springy, if you undo the cap past the o ring (goes hiss) it works ok up and down .

Makes me think, is there a breather in the forks ? As your going from something long to short and surely the air inside the forks has to go somewhere ie, vent out ?

Cheers, Craig.

This is how it should be!

Thanks,

Just spoke to a person in the know before I left work and he confirmed what you are saying Guys. Yes you shouldn't be able to push the damper side all the way down completely and then all the way up, as you said Guys "the air trapped inside will act like a spring at the end of the stroke" You are totally correct and you have set my mind at ease.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Regards, Craig.

• Like 1