4T/2T Future

hensley

Sherco made a very good 4t, gas gas made a not so good 4t.(we'll never know how good or bad it was?) and now gas gas and ossa are virtually joined at the hip and have bought 4t tech off Husqvarna who were owned by BMW, you never know. Beta make a very good 4t, but due to the very light bikes, the 2t's rule, but maybe in the future, we might see some new 4t's in the WTC with the new rules.

Very interesting about Husqvarna...would love to see what they would come up with for a 4t Trials bike.

• Like 1

Ceramic technology is widely used and has become very reliable and durable, for instance in the pump industry etc.

Regarding development costs for a four stroke: The Montesa 4RT engine is also based on previous engines, I think the Honda XR range...

The 2-stroke is hard to beat regarding weight to power ratio, fairly simple construction, robustness, power delivery etc... that's why I like them.

But when I'm waiting in line at a non-stop, I would rather be behind a 4 stroke that runs on Alkylate fuel than an oil burning 2 stroke...

I think environmental laws will, in the not so distant future, dictate the survival of the 2 stroke engine (Belgian government almost passed a law, banning all 2 stroke mopeds)

Working in a Husky dealership, the engine they have purchased will prove to be a brilliant decision by them. The X-lite motor is a brilliant little bit of kit, capable of very impressive torque and power out of a 22kg unit. It is by far and away the lightest small bore motor around at the moment and deserves to remain in manufacture. Hopefully seeing this in a trials bike will be a great move for GasGas. 4 Stroke is the future, there is no doubt of it. I love 2 Stroke motors, especially trials motors, but I think eventually they will fall by the wayside.

As far as ceramic goes, all great in theory, but reliability will be an issue. Just look at the ceramic washers that were used by Sea-Doo in their supercharged jet ski's. Every one of them failed long before the motor did and disintegrated and went through the motor, leaving a true mess in it's wake. I don't think ceramic technology is quite there yet. :thumbup:

22kg is impressive. Weighed my 4RT engine when I had it out of the bike and the scales told me 29kg ...

But when I'm waiting in line at a non-stop, I would rather be behind a 4 stroke that runs on Alkylate fuel than an oil burning 2 stroke...

I think environmental laws will, in the not so distant future, dictate the survival of the 2 stroke engine (Belgian government almost passed a law, banning all 2 stroke mopeds)

I prefer the oil burning 2-stroke.........smells like heaven. :madnoel:

• Like 2

My 2-stroke barely smokes at all. It runs very, very clean.

100:1 oil ratio,semi direct EFI...almost no smoke at all.

I can't handle being behind a rich 4-stroke either.

Still prefer the 2-stoke.

Mark

• Like 1

Yep 22kg. That was the 2010 motor that had the old head on it. Pretty sure they didn't gain any weight when they went to the V-Head, if so it would be marginal I would suggest. The motor is awesome though. Very reliable too. Really miss that motor in my beloved Husky's!!

22kg are you sure is that their 250 4 stroke? what does a gg pro engine weigh?

I'am sure if you compared the crankshaft and flywheel weight of the Husky compared to a GG or Honda 4rt, you would easily find the weight difference. No way with the Husky at 22kg is that engine Trials Ready

and in my opion hondas last 2stroke trials machine,315r was a superherb machine.bottom end power was like nothing else.build quality was absolute bomb proof.was totally gutted when they stopped producing them. RIP 315r :(

Where do we all get this "super herb" from??? With some of that I'll be ready to tackle anything Toni does... :stoned:

• Like 3

Balderdash there Zippy, everyone knows Canada produces the finest of herbs :)

Not sure Colorado produces all that pot..but they have most of the smokers for sure.

I think they have a healthy import business going on..........................

I have doubt if Honda is making money on 4RT. It's have to be too complex to be as good as any 2T.

After MX market turned 4T only. The price increased. There a rule: The consumer always pay the bill.

I have one 4WD. I really miss the days when I was able to fix my own car anywhere with barely any tool. There reliable Jeeps in the trail since 1945. For sure in next 10 years, all the electronics on my car will be museum pieces with no fix and spare.

The simplest solution is the best.