The Exeter, The Lands End, Etc.

laird387

Hi,

A new thread for those interested in the 'Long Distance' sort of trials - the 'real' reliability trials, in a sense.

In the 1961 'Exeter' and Arthur Pulman looks cheerfull in the rain with his DOT outfit. I do not know the name of his passenger.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-56595500-1394177489_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

The 1958 Exeter and not long after dawn in the grey light about to start the time section at Askers near Bridport, Norman Devonshire lets in the clutch of his 650 Triumph outfit as the flag drops.

Norman also competed in sporting sidecar trials and is now an active member of the VMCC and helps with the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Brands.

Do some of our older members remember Stan, the man spectating in the background, who sold copies of MCN around events throughout the South in the sixties?

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-47688600-1394177910_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

When Doug Sarney rang me, years back, to talk about trials photography , he mentioned that his dad Brian had competed in the late 60’s.

Thirty three years on I managed to find two black and white negatives of Brian Sarney with his BSA outfit, this one taken just as dawn was breaking in the 1966 Exeter!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-76380300-1394186647_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Easter hosts the Lands End MCC trial, in the 78th, Celia Walton with the rigid Ariel outfit has Arthur to hold the chair down.

Note the tow rope round the s'car swan neck and the tyre pump in the sidecar.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-75766300-1394187272_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much for posting these - this excellent forum is like a re-born Ralph Remembers (which I always used to read every Friday, despite not being born in 1965).

What is interesting is that the MCC events are still very similar to how they were when first run (earliest was the London to Edinburgh in 1904) and haven't evolved in quite the same way trials in general have. To the best of my knowledge, with their overnight format, they're unique.

Brian and Doug Sarney were competing when I first started but I don't think they've entered for a few years now.

Celia still competes and will be in this year's Land's End in a Reliant three-wheeler.

Do you have any images of early Wyegates?

Thank you again,

Ian.

Edited by ian640

Hi ian 640,

Yes, it was during a wet and very cold Wyegate that the idea for my trials championship was born, I was a regular competitor and Mary always had her camera so, 'bear with' as they say, and one day we'll see 'Ty Fry' and the back of Tintern!

Cheers

Hi,

Gordon Francis told ORR some of the problems facing photographers in the days before autofocus digital cameras.

"One of the difficult jobs at Easter was the MCC’s 78th Land’s End Trial on the Good Friday night and although I always enjoy covering the MCC events as a bit of an adventure, I find it increasingly difficult in some respects.

"The shot of Ariel rider Patrick Robotham is an an example of what I mean, taken near the top of Sugg Lane on a right hand bend. Problem is you can hear but not see competitors approaching at this point and then they appear head on, with the headlight beam straight into your viewfinder.

"My only means of focussing in advance was with the assistance of a helpfull young spectator who kindly stood on my chosen spot and shone a torch towards me during a lull. It was then a case of timing things right in the ensuing glare and unlike the older machines like Pat’s, the latest bikes have bright and often twin headlamps and or spotlights."

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-65920600-1394279150_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The Motor Cycling Club's 'Land's End Trial' dates back to 1908, originally a 'there and back' marathon from London to Land's end and then return.

An Easter favourite for many the trial was inevitably over-subscribed.

In this image Peter Roydhouse, mounted on an AJS for a change (Peter had quite a notable collection of motor cycles), climbs Darracott in the 1954 Land's End, the 34th running of the event, with Geoff Myers in the chair.

In Yorkshire Geoff was always known as the 'Chairman of the Board', because he held a senior position in the railways. He eventually was appointed to the Board and was appointed Managing Director of British Railways in the 1980s.

In 1954 the starting points were Launceston, Kenilworth and Virginia Water.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-79511900-1394297529_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

MCC committee member (and responsible for working out the very complicated results for many years), Gerry Woolcot spotted half-way up Tillerton Lane in the 1960 Exeter - and still going well on the AMC 500 twin.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-69722100-1395678779_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 3 years later...

Entries for this years Edinburgh trial the oldest of all the MCC's events are still open. classes for all trials specific motorcycles from Laird387's favoured Bid Brit bangers to 4rts and everything in between including sidecars. Trial starts at just after midnight on 30th september so lights will be required.. for the 180 mile route with 14 classic sections. try something old school!  http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/?page_id=79 https://www.facebook.com/events/343954409366455/?active_tab=discussion

• 2 months later...