Questionable Design

dadof2

I see the new Betas use the outer ignition case as the stator support.

Over the years I have broken (and seen other riders break) ignition cases on many makes of bike. I have also see road bikes with this arrangement dropped at very low speed or even stationary and major damage to the stator (and in many cases rotor) has resulted.

This design may be good to centralise mass for WTC "flickability" but as a clubman who rides in rocks and has to pay for his own parts I would steer well clear of bikes with this stator layout.

Afternarket opportunity for someone to produce a thick cushioned guard?

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

I would steer clear of the other way

Put the long long crank stub with a large rotating mass on the end

The end closest to hitting the ground

There is no magic design that is reasonably priced to build

Maybe all of the people who design motorcycle engines are right!

• Like 1

I see the new Betas use the outer ignition case as the stator support.

Over the years I have broken (and seen other riders break) ignition cases on many makes of bike. I have also see road bikes with this arrangement dropped at very low speed or even stationary and major damage to the stator (and in many cases rotor) has resulted.

This design may be good to centralise mass for WTC "flickability" but as a clubman who rides in rocks and has to pay for his own parts I would steer well clear of bikes with this stator layout.

Afternarket opportunity for someone to produce a thick cushioned guard?

Yea, well, just think of all that extra electrical power you needed! Just because you break them is not their fault, as they need to sell a few the mag bits to make money! And you could likely run some high power lights to do the night trials!

Since the Beta stator support (outer case) is made from magnesium I feel it appropriate to post this Gas Gas warning to prospective purchasers. So there you have it gasgas and beta owners, no river sections and no Uk road (salted) use in winter or your bike will dissolve :rolleyes:

DATE: 17/JULY/2003

SUBJECT: MAGNESIUM RACING PARTS FOR TRIAL MODEL MOTORCYCLES.

SPECIFICALLY: ADAM RAGA LIMITED EDITION

“TXT PRO - RAGA”

We would like to inform you that because of the special lightweight magnesium parts fitted on this motorcycle, it is necessary to avoid exposure to extreme humidity and especially salt water.

Best regards,

Gas Gas Motos- Technical department

Well its the same design as the 4t's (Montesa and Beta) don't hear people having problems with those and their covers are much bigger. Our Beta 250RR enduro bike is also setup the same way. Its been used pretty hard in Endurocross etc. with no problems. Frankly I'm glad to see a cover that shouldn't leak!

Also Magnesium center cases are nothing new for the Factory Beta's so I don't see a problem there.

Well its the same design as the 4t's (Montesa and Beta) don't hear people having problems with those and their covers are much bigger. Our Beta 250RR enduro bike is also setup the same way. Its been used pretty hard in Endurocross etc. with no problems. Frankly I'm glad to see a cover that shouldn't leak!

Also Magnesium center cases are nothing new for the Factory Beta's so I don't see a problem there.

That is true. The Montesa uses 9 bolts and the 4 stroke Beta 9 also. The problem is the two stroke only uses 3 bolts. One bad hit and it`s done.

Since the Beta stator support (outer case) is made from magnesium I feel it appropriate to post this Gas Gas warning to prospective purchasers. So there you have it gasgas and beta owners, no river sections and no Uk road (salted) use in winter or your bike will dissolve :rolleyes:

DATE: 17/JULY/2003

SUBJECT: MAGNESIUM RACING PARTS FOR TRIAL MODEL MOTORCYCLES.

SPECIFICALLY: ADAM RAGA LIMITED EDITION

“TXT PRO - RAGA”

We would like to inform you that because of the special lightweight magnesium parts fitted on this motorcycle, it is necessary to avoid exposure to extreme humidity and especially salt water.

Best regards,

Gas Gas Motos- Technical department

Considering most sections in the uk are in NON SALT STREAMS is it really a problem? when was the last trial you did dad of 22222222222222222 on salted roads? And lastly how many raga reps were sold?

Scaremongering in the extreme!

• Like 2

That is true. The Montesa uses 9 bolts and the 4 stroke Beta 9 also. The problem is the two stroke only uses 3 bolts. One bad hit and it`s done.

I'll have the answer by August. My kid will be riding his first year in the 125 expert class at the nationals on a Factory 125. I'm sure he'll be giving it a good workout!

• Like 1

I'll have the answer by August. My kid will be riding his first year in the 125 expert class at the nationals on a Factory 125. I'm sure he'll be giving it a good workout!

Kid + Nationals + Expert Class = One hell of a flogging on the bike! (and proud parents)

Yes you will! I assume it`s Ty, congrats on his win. If any bike will break, it will be a kid on a 125 to do it. Glad to see the class stay alive after being empty last year.

• 2 weeks later...

0007 #2. The Beta designers have probably got it right as far as WTC is concerned. Moving a large rotating mass with inertia and gyroscopic forces will almost certainly improve the handling by some small but possibly significant at the highest level of the sport.

For the clubman the handling improvement may not even be noticeable, then there are the drawbacks.

Rev 3s and Evos have pretty tough, cheap plastic cases. The new magnesium cases will be brittle, expensive to replace and prone to corrosion.

Having the flywheel outside the windings has over many years proved to be much more durable than the design now adopted by Beta.

Dabster # 10. I see you are misquoting me again, you really should have gone to Specsavers.

Ya I get what you are saying and it makes sense

All I would say is impact to a spinning flywheel so far away from the bearing has the possibility of bending the crank stub

Which one is worse