Clutch Rattle

wfo9

Got my 2010 st290 a few weeks ago (it is an access/econo model so I think it has many 2008,2009 parts). Anyway, bike runs good and I have been having a ball learning to ride trials. I've been running it quite a bit and have burned about 2.5 gallons of fuel through it in the last 7 days. I've ridden it pretty hard doing both section and trail riding. Was actually taking it off a few small jumps tonight. I can't get over how much fun this little bike is. .

Anyway, today noticed that the gearbox/flywheel makes a pretty good rattling noise when the clutch is out/engaged and the transmission is in neutral. The noise goes away when I pull the clutch lever in and disengage.

Any ideas, is it worth further investigation? It is not noticeable while actually riding the bike. It seems like it just started doing this, but it may be that I just started noticing it.

Thanks.

Thanks,

It may just be that I'm noticing it now that I'm letting it get pretty hot.

I also just changed the gearbox oil a few days ago.

I'm running the Maxima MTL 75W as recommended by RYP.

Sitting in neutral idling they tend to be a little loud, then it disappears when the clutch is pulled, thats normal. It was like that with my 09, i read on these forums that if new clutch rubbers are put in the noise decreases noticeably. I had to change my clutch basket because it was notchy so at the same time renewed the rubbers. To my surprise the clutch was almost silent, so that could be where the noise is coming from. So if the clutch is operating fine its OK to leave it.

Sitting in neutral idling they tend to be a little loud, then it disappears when the clutch is pulled, thats normal. It was like that with my 09, i read on these forums that if new clutch rubbers are put in the noise decreases noticeably. I had to change my clutch basket because it was notchy so at the same time renewed the rubbers. To my surprise the clutch was almost silent, so that could be where the noise is coming from. So if the clutch is operating fine its OK to leave it.

My experience as well, the cost of the parts is so minor including the basket that most people could afford to replace rubbers & basket yearly if they felt like it.

Cost of the parts including basket & the retainer plate which you shouldn't damage is about 40 quid plus postage, I changed the hub to the later version in my Jarvis & it still only came to about 100 quid

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/checkout/cart/