Ryan From Northeast Oklahoma

ryanbrown

Hello,

My name is Ryan and I am returning to riding after a 4 year long break (had daughter). I have been riding for 33 years and competed in enduros in Colorado for many years. I recently bought a 2003 beta Rev3 250 to get back on a bike. I am a novice trials rider even though I WAS an A level enduro rider. I live near the Grand River Dam in Northeast Oklahoma and have a great practice area in the washed out dam run off. If anyone is nearby please contact me so we can go ride.

I am a bigger guy and was wondering if anyone had any advise for setting up a bike for a 245lbs 6'4" rider. Does anyone have a source for heavier springs? are they needed at my skill level? I am already running a tall bend handlebar that is as wide as I could find. I could not find any info searching the forums so forgive me if this has been covered already.

Did you get the owners manual with bike? Beta had a fairly good recommendation for suspension adjustment. Really at novice level it is better to be too soft than hard. Sometimes wide bars are not the thing in trials. You might not get around an obstacle as good as others.

• Like 1

Did you get the owners manual with bike? Beta had a fairly good recommendation for suspension adjustment. Really at novice level it is better to be too soft than hard. Sometimes wide bars are not the thing in trials. You might not get around an obstacle as good as others.

thanks for the advise. I have not noticed it being too soft for what I am doing now but sometimes a bike change suggested by a more experienced person can make a big difference. I have adjusted the pre-load and damping adjusters per the owners manual but it did not provide a sag setting. Sag may not be a factor for trials - I don't know.

I am also 6'4" 245 lbs and ride langley once a year (super place to ride) its 165 miles trip for us. google for neott trials and you will get the northeast oklahoma club they still hold an event or 2 a year at langley also monthly events at several locations. as far as set up im not sure on beta but on my gas gas 2014 with reiger i set them stiff and it works great for me a set of Buffalo bars from Ryan young may be to your liking but i am happy with the stock bars on my gas gas.

You have one of the greatest places to ride in the Midwest maybe in the whole USA in your backyard you shouldn't have much trouble finding riding buddies and you may need one to spot as you advance to the big rocks be careful and have fun

• Like 1