Back Brake Issues.......

snobbly

Any pointers please for fixing my back brake - its gradually got weaker and weaker and now doesnt work at all. The caliper moves a bit on one side but not the other.

I've taken the wheel off, cleaned it all, pads are almost new, brake pedal all seems OK but I dont really know what I'm looking for.

need to get it sorted before last weekend of the month as there's finally a practice I can go to locally !!!

many thanks :closedeyes:

I had a next to useless back brake on my Scorpa, when I bought it. I have spent countless hours trying to get it sorted, until Saturday night when I finally did. I was getting zero pressure from the master cylinder because the push rod adjustment was up the ***** and there was air in the line. Because the piston was being pushed prematurely, it wasn't allowing it to return all the way, stopping the fluid from returning to the reservoir.

I started by figuring there was air in the line. I tried bleeding and couldn't get anything to happen. I soon realised that the push rod was not returning far enough and had to remove the brake pedal to get correct adjustment. This was a task as the bolt was rounded out and way over tight. I ended up drilling the head of the bolt off, then punching the bolt through. I wrecked 5 drill bits on the hardened bolt!!

Once I was able to reduce the adjustment on the push rod, I could then get enough pressure from the pedal to bleed the brakes properly. Once I had got a result from here I was able to set up the rear brake to my liking and sort out my woes. It took some time but at the end of the day all was well and good.

Good luck with it mate, and make sure you have everything adjusted correctly in the pedal area before you start to bleed the system.

:thumbup:

the fluid cylinder is full, i did try bleeding it but not sure I was doing it right, loosened the nut per the picture in the manual, fiddled with the brake, bit of fluid came out then I tightened it up again.

I can't see any leaks or cracks in the pipe, even after I cleaned the mud off !

the rubber bit on the bottom of the brake cylinder is quite loose and moves around - can't see inside the cylinder though.

How would I know if the seals have gone or do I just get new ones ( is it the whole cylinder or can I just get the seals ??)

many thanks

Snobbly,

Google is your friend mate. You need to ensure the system is bled properly before you do anything else. Try this one:

I didn't watch it all but thought it may give you some guidance on what you need to do.

Start there as brake fluid can absorb water over time and this will reduce your brake pedal feel too. Flushing and replacing your fluid is definitely step number one.

:thumbup:

Edited by cactusjack

Thanks for the vid link - i can watch that at home ( as clearly hard at work at the moment !!) - I'll have another look at the pads and try pushing the pistons back, its definitely only moving on one side so cant be completely right.

thanks again