Gg Radonne

dadof2

Just read the article on the new 200cc Radonne, Gasgas claim "the new engine offers more power to overcome any obstacle" so presumably we shall see Raga et al using them in WTC to defeat Bou :rolleyes:

Edited by dadof2

It looks like the Randonne is a modern version of the Honda Reflex/TLR200. Lighter, modern suspension and brakes, more power, suitable for beginners and wives. Honda sold tons of them to non trials riders and was popular to tie on the back of motor homes of retired folks. For advanced riders, it would be fun as a dual sport bike. It is almost the same as the TY125 Scorpa and with the extra power to get over obstacles, not any obstacle, I'd like to have one. I bet it's very quiet and reliable with it's Yamaha TTR 125 engine probably bored out to 180cc.

It looks like the Randonne is a modern version of the Honda Reflex/TLR200. Lighter, modern suspension and brakes, more power, suitable for beginners and wives. Honda sold tons of them to non trials riders and was popular to tie on the back of motor homes of retired folks. For advanced riders, it would be fun as a dual sport bike. It is almost the same as the TY125 Scorpa and with the extra power to get over obstacles, not any obstacle, I'd like to have one. I bet it's very quiet and reliable with it's Yamaha TTR 125 engine probably bored out to 180cc.

I agree with your assessment, but would point out that its not a yamaha motor. I believe its made by Jianshe motor out of China. I hear there decent motors (not typical Chinese junk by any means) and while similar to the yamaha, not identical.

I was reading on another forum that Scorpa used the Jianshe 125 in 2009 on for the TY. (Cant remember if thats when Sherco took over)

Edited by laser1

GG article clearly says "any obstacle". I guess something has gone off message in the translation from spanish - A bit like the GG USA info about magnesium's susceptibility to damp and salt.

Price is not yet on GG Uk website.

It would be interesting if GG put a decent rider on one in the championship or experts class just to show what they could do especially if bike was kept standard spec.

Edit - In UK I think the 125cc limit up to 19 years of age will damage the market for this type of bike. I think there may be quite a few who otherwise would like a trail / commuter bike that was decent enough for trials. 125s generally just do not have enough power or have to be thrashed at the expense of reliability.

Edited by dadof2

If it is worth its salt it should be able to run anything up to and including expert lines with a good rider.

Look at just what a proper 125 2T can do, add a 175 or better 4T and sit back and watch! Many have already done it with the Scorpa!

• 6 months later...

I have had the 125 for a while and the only bit to really let me down is the rubber inlet manifold. It is the only bit on the engine made by GasGas and has no resistance to ethanol in the fuel. It goes really soft when contaminated , then pulses really badly until it rips itself apart. I have changed mine twice and at £60 a pop the people at gasgas are really proud of this crap. ( £45 + Shipping + VAT )

As for the rest of the Bike:

The handling , ride and ability to get over obstacles is impressive. It is great fun off road... Brakes are brilliant, as are the forks and rear suspension.

I run a nine tooth front sprocket and 48 rear. The front sprocket was off a Scorpa and had to be modified with a grinder to make it line up with the chain guides on the swing arm.

The mudguard used to flap around like crazy and I have taken a few spills and had to replace it. I have made up a steel bracket to stop it flapping too much and had to do some welding on the frame to beef it up and all seems fine now.

Speedo is rubbish and the little magnet that the sensor picks up on the rear disk fell off long ago. The plastic surround with the warning lights just disintegrated

Paint is rubbing and flaking off the frame but the steel is not rusting. The wheel spokes are showing a bit of corrosion at the adjustment nuts. The rear brake pedal is made from a soft steel that bends easily when hit with rocks, but is easy to bend back. i have modified it with a bit of wire from the pedal to the bash plate to stop twigs and stuff getting stuck in it and to stop it bending too far.

On the road that is a pretty uncomfortable seat. Short trips only... and with the gearing I have it is only good for about 40 mph ( how fast is hard to tell because speedo inop) Seat is Very narrow and do not try to lift the bike with the seat as it will tear out the rear mounting point. On the road the handling is a little twitchy so you would not want to go very fast anyway.

One other thing is that as a 125 the insurance was a bit of a problem. it is not covered for theft and was more than for a bigger cc bike. The insurers here must see it a a kids learner bike and treat it as such. Maybe the new 200 will be better

• Like 1