Hydraulic Brakes - Oset 16 36V

purkyuk

Hi guys,

Any recommendations for hydraulic brakes for the Oset 16 36V? Im looking to upgrade my sons bike as the current brakes are not responsive enough and very stiff.

And advise greatly appreciated!

Hi!

Go with OSET´s original upgrade kit.

-I cheaped out and ripped mine off from a second hand bike and that got me trouble as

the osets left hand lever connects with the rear brake, (opposite to the bike i took the kit from).

The result was that the air-bleeding didn´t work and i had to pay a local bike dealer to reassemble

the whole system with the hydraulic lines refitted to the right levers getting the right/left in order.

-Im great at math, especially aftermath..

If you want the top job, go for Hopes. Quite expensive, but they are the best out there. 100% British, all machined from lumps of aluminium, great quality build, amazing stopping power, amazing customer service and look the best. I run Hopes on my mountain bike and just cant rate them enough, :D

Hi!

Go with OSET´s original upgrade kit.

-I cheaped out and ripped mine off from a second hand bike and that got me trouble as

the osets left hand lever connects with the rear brake, (opposite to the bike i took the kit from).

The result was that the air-bleeding didn´t work and i had to pay a local bike dealer to reassemble

the whole system with the hydraulic lines refitted to the right levers getting the right/left in order.

-Im great at math, especially aftermath..

Clarke ones from Chainreactions cycles fore about £80 set do the job just fine, really efficient and easy to adjust, ready bled and on ours the correct way round.Although I dont see how they could be supplied the wrong way as be it a mountain bike or Trials bike the front brake is still always on the left?

My boy has them on his and is just finished his 2nd season, only thing to watch out for are on some models of master cylinder the hose comes out at a less than ideal angle. Meaning that they can be prone to snapping off when crashed!!

They can be repaired easily enough but better to avoid if you can.

Ideally you want the type which have the hose exiting in line with the handlebars and not the kind which exit at 45 degrees.

Dont spend too much as you wont recoup the cost when you sell it on when he moves onto a petrol bike in 2-3 years time.

I fitted Hope Evo calipers , Tech Evo master cylinders and stainless hoses to our Oset and it was a decision I have not regretted . The range of pads is good and they last longer . They are extremely well made as the previous post says . I was that impressed I fitted them to our KTM 50 SX as I was sick of the cheap Formula master cylinder playing up . I even fitted the rear brake up onto the handle bar and removed the footbrake , the same as the Oset . Never put a spanner to them all season . They aren't cheap but they are the best . IMO .

Thanks for all your replies.

Next question, with the Hope or Clark pre-blead brakes already made up, will these fit directly onto the bike without any modification? as the bike is quite small. I though maybe the pipes would have to be shortened?

Also, how easy is it to shorten these pipes. I have no experience with hydraulic brakes on bikes, but quite a lot of experience with cars (changing calipers, bleeding systems, etc).

Do you recommend changing the disk too? or will the standard 160mm be suitable as its seems in good condition.?

Thanks again everyone!

The Hope system came individually . The hose was a Goodridge braided stainless that needed cutting to length . It is way , way easier using " cable cutters " to shorten the hose . I tried and failed miserably using side cutters , pliers , junior hacksaw and a Dremmel only for the end to fray every time . Bought a set of cable cutters the next day and one cut had it sorted ! There are other hose materials available but I wanted stainless . I purchased the items from my local mountain bike shop who would've shortened the hoses for me if I could've been bothered to drive the 25 miles back . There were no modifications required and they bled up , from dry , in no time . I just kept the original discs but fabricated my own alloy rear disc guard .

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

the clarke ones are really good for next to no money my lad has the exo skeletal ones on his oset didn't bother shortening the hoses just made a loop behind the number board, they even came with wavy disks too

I'm looking at a set of hydraulics also and have looked at the Clarks Exo Skeletal as well.

What is the reach adjustment like on the levers? The pic on CRC website seems to show them I what would be a long long way out of reach for a 6 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a set of clarke Skeletal brakes with discs, £35 from chain reaction cycles

Fitted them today, they fit straight on, no drama, and the levers adjust all the way to the bar if needed!

So much better, as he can now pull the brake enough to stop him instantly. The original cable type were inadequate really, the lever adjustment is terrible, and needs adult type strength to bite the discs properly

Personally, i dont know why oset even offer cable style disc brakes, they cant be that much more money than the cable ones!

• Like 1

Just finished upgrading to Shimano M355 hydraulics on my sons Oset 16 36v and what a difference! Its worth every penny!

Shortening the pipes was easy too.

Its ashame Oset dont put these on from the beginning.