Fan Direction?

wfo9

I just noticed today that the fan on my 2009 st290 pushes air from the area near the motor forward towards the front wheel. Is this correct?

I have not had overheating issue, but It just seems illogical, since this is the opposite of how most cooling systems work. Did someone install the blade or terminals in the wrong direction?

it's the same setup as any modern car and they seem to work well.

Are you saying it should be the same as a modern car? Because all cars that I have worked on pull air (and rarely have a pusher in front, never behind). My sherco is pushing air from behind.

I'm guessing it does not really matter all that much when going really slow, but at speed the fan being on and pushing could be a problem.

I will probably take it apart tonight and see if there is some way that the terminals could have been accidentally swapped by the previous owner.

If someone could confirm the flow direction on their bike, that would be great.

Edited by wfo9

With any axial flow fan you can tell which way it is intended to run, by the curve of the blades. The concave side of the blade should always be on the downstream side.

There have been trials bikes made with the radiator cooling air direction intentionally being towards the front of the bike. I don't remember which bike it was yet.

OK, I finally got around to fixing this.and riding again,Someone had reversed the wires around (I could see the solder). I switched them and it now pulls air towards the motor.

It does seem to create more heat around my legs when riding now. Maybe that is why they had it reversed. It seems more logical this way but a little more heat for the rider. There is typically such little speed in trials that i'm not sure it matters all that much. My fan pretty much runs constantly once the motor is warmed up.