Chain Slipper Pad

oojudoo

My chain came off on the weekend. When I was putting it back on I noticed the pad that goes around the end of the swing arm by the engine, on the bottom had broken.

The part of the pad next to the drive cog with no tension was lifting the chain up slightly which would then cause the chain to come off as it followed the line from the pad(you still with me? ) ....any way...after much searching to find the actual name of the part I needed I ordered it off eBay, super quick delivery, but, before I go just taking it off....is it easy as it looks? Is there something I need to do to make it easier.... Not had a trial bike long and after trying to find a YouTube demo I found there's more to taking a back wheel off than I had originally thought!

Any tips that will save me bother and expensive mistakes would be soundly welcome before I get stuck in to it ...

Cheers :)

First I must admit I am no Beta expert. So generalities only. The "chain slipper" as you describe is designed to protect the swing arm for the chain wear. You did not mention anything about a chain tensioner, and when you said the "slipper' had knocked the chain off, it made me wonder. Most bikes have a spring loaded lever that pivots on the swing arm to hold the chain in line with the rear sprocket and to take up the slack in the chain as the wheel moves up and down in it's stroke. Does yours have that? It should look something like this pic.

You may have to remove the swingarm to replace the "slipper pad" that can be a fair amount of work to get to it. Do you have a manual? Are you fairly handy at working on things?

The main things you will need to do:

1) Remove rear wheel. Pay close attention to any spacers and where they fit so they get back in the right place. Take lots of pics as you disassemble to help you get things back right.

2) disconnect the shock and linkage While you are in there, check the bearings. If good, grease them up good and reuse. If bad, replace.

3) remove the pivot for the swingarm ( can me a P.I.T.A sometimes). Again take pics so the various linkages, vent hoses and such get back right. Be careful with the rear brake hydraulic hose. If possible make the repair without disconnecting the hydraulics.

4) Replace the "slipper pad" and reassemble everything the way they were. Be sure to adjust your chain tension equally with the snail cams on the rear axle.

Let us know how it works out.

I have had mine off (07 rev3) to give it a good clean it before when I replaced chain and spokets and I definitely didn't carry out the strip down in the above post, looking at my bike it looks as though if you take mag cover, chain and maybe front sproket off that will be enough.

Tools req would be chain breaker, circlip pliers and Allen keys.