Tools

Engineering factory where I used to work had some black (unchromed) snap on spanners, they had lots of hard use and never wore or broke.

Many years ago MCN carried out tests and concluded that Facom and Teng were much better value for money than snap on and in some cases better full stop.

I have some Kamasa sockets and spanners that have been in regular use since 1975 and are still near as new.

a chest from m mart would be fine snap on are expensive , but for a reason they are very good and chosen by those that dont want bashed knuckles and want to use them daily but on the other hand they are more appealing to thiefs , you could try mac bergan or facom which arnt too bad

As a pro, Snap-on has some really nice high priced stuff. What we do is pay them out over a lifetime! It never ends!

I have about 4 sets of tools in different locations. I just use what works for the application.

Work set- many high dollar tools! There are other companies that make pro tools!

My workshop- Mostly Sears Craftsman with a number of special bits.

Home- Mostly cheap crap to get job done.

Bike- Portable kit mostly bike specific and supplements home. Anything major breaks and I am done anyway!

You can probably find the Sears Craftsman stuff on Ebay or on line.

And Craftsman/Sears will not post to UK, I've tried. Halfords pro range are surprisingly good and fairly cheap, plus they have the lifetime guarantee, Lets face it there are Halfords pretty much everywhere. They are probably the UK equivalent of craftsman. Snap on I've found to be very overpriced and are OK for snob value

I have a Teng dealer near to me, so mostly use these.

They have a life time guantee as well, and the boxes etc, all have their fitted tray system, so easy to keep together and know where things are.

Don't forget Draper Expert as well, not bad tools and fairly inexpensive.

If you need a box, try on Gumtree......

I mix em

Some stuff like the most common sizes get the good wrench (especially in smaller sizes) and just fill in the less common sizes with low dollar stuff

Things like Philips screwdrivers, don't cheep out, better quality just works better for longer

Ratchet and socket sets just go mid grade and look around for sales

There are a lot of brand names out there but not so many tool factories, a lot of stuff rolls out the same door with a different look

Most of my kit is Snap On,for two reasons,firstly the Snap On van is the only tool van who has reliably visited my workshop which is in a very remote location.Secondly they don't quibble when there are warranty claims - even when VERY obvious abuse is evident.(Which can be necessary when spannering old Land Rovers)

Not all of their kit is the best,but most of it is better than other makes.I do have some stuff from Beta which is doing well,but the rachets etc aren't as good as Snap On to use.

The cost isn't that important to me,as the money spent on tools helps against tax.Service is important,I don't want to be held up with broken tools,none of the other makes seem to keep up here.Mac tools never quite got there.

Most of my old Whitworth stuff is ancient kit from Britool and Snail Brand - both excellent quality even though they are donkeys years old,Snap On are second to them in most respects.(I pick them up at autojumbles,often very cheap for what you get.)

• Like 1

As a pro at this wrench twisting stuff like jon V8 and copey, I've probably put more than one tool man's kid thru college ... As of the last few years I've found Matco tools have edged out Snap-on for value and service ...

And I never ever thow a tool away ! even if broken you may find a future use for it , I've got drawers full of bent , welded , customized wrenches for a specific need ...

And I just got a set of Rolsen BS wrenches that so far appear to be great quality , To amend my worn King Dick and Stahlwell whitworth and BS wrenches . On this side of the pond , getting whitworth and British Standard tools can be a expensive challenge ....

But spend what you need , if you plan on using the tool daily , buy the best you can . It will pay for itself ....

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

got to admit the halfords pro stuff surprised me it's really quite good, newphew is a bus mechanic with everything snap on and the halfords stuff is identical just a different name on the handle

• 2 weeks later...