Water In 2 Stroke Engine Help! Cota 247 1975

mboon

Hi guys. Long time no update.

long story short the bike had been left outside during all the really bad rain we have had!

I had a bad feeling the engine had water in so removed the air filter housing and pipe, water came out.

removed the drain screw on the carb and water came out.

removed the enhaust manifold on the engine and water came out.

I have slowly turned it over with my hand with all these items above left unscrewed and water came out... now no water is really coming out when I turn over.

I have tipped the bike on its front about 30 degrees and no more water camr out.

when I turn it over I get a bit of a gargaling water sound from the carb area.

I have looked on the net and most say do what I have done and then start the engine and it will burn off the little bit left?

Obviously I am not doing that until I hace taken you guys advice.... any help?

Gutted is an understatement!! But my own silly fault fot leaving it out. I did have something over the air filter but I didnt notice when it came off :-(

From a bad owner.

Mark

Most of the advice about starting it and burning the water off is when you drop it in a river, then drain and start immediately. If it's been standing for weeks or months, bearings, bore etc will have rusted to a degree. Personally I would strip it, not start it.

How long do your think the water was in there? If a long time, I would be worried about rust. If only a couple days, less worried about rust. The key things at this time are to get the water out and get some oil on those metal surfaces. Avoid spinning it too much until you know there is oil on the bearings, etc.

You could start with some spray oil (WD40) in the jug and in the crankcase. The spray mist will carry oil to many surfaces. Also there is some water dispersing qualities. Than I would put a teaspoon of real oil, in the spark plug hole to lube the rings.

You could put small heater under the engine to help evaporate the water before starting it. Not so much heat as to damage the seals but certainly it could get hot to the touch. Water will make steam, oil will not so that could be a clue to when the water is mostly gone.

While doing this would be a good time to tear down the carb and flush out any remaining water.

Then put a couple teaspoons of oil in the crankcase and lay the bike on one side for a few minutes, then the other side to get some oil into the mains.

With the plug out, turn it by hand to spread the oil. Is all seems smooth, good. If rough, then it probably got rusty and it may be time for a tear down.

If it feels good, put it together, leave the plug wire off , or hold the kill button and give her a few slow kicks to pull some fuel/oil mix in. Then, give her a go. Run it for 30 seconds, then shut it off for the oil to work its way into everything. Do this 5 or 6 times, running longer each time. Gently warm it up to displace any water and then if all is good, go ride and have fun! Remember it may have extra smoke for a while to burn off the extra oil you put in.

Then let us know how you get on.

my 348 stood in the garden for a month. It rained a lot. The electrical side flywheel cover doesn't have a good seal and that was my most troubling issue, the damp caused all the electrics to fuzz up.

inside the engine the two stroke oil clinging to all the moving bits protected the metal.

In the gearbox the water should stay separate from the thick oil. and will pour out easily.

but fix it asap.

check out these pictures of my old fura 50 engine

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33646233@N04/6634323851/in/set-72157628713977875/

see the water line!

I think the water settles under the oil so the rust forms from the bottom. Not so sure where the oxygen comes from.

• 4 months later...

I once drowned my bike in flod water fished it out and it started first kick and the magneto pumped the water out through the breather on the magneto and it ran fine for 10 mins till I drowned it again then I had to push it 3k through flood water and then clutch started it and ran it dry again and it never missed a beat again that was way back in 1975/6.