Cota 247 What Year And Frame Colour?

parky265

Just bought a Cota 247. Frame number 21M42** Engine is a right hand gear change. Frame looks to have been painted a weird pale blue years ago (looks hideous).

I need to know what year it is please. I suspect 1971.

Gonna teach my daughter to ride it then give it a proper restoration.

Thanks in advance.

I used that site and it looked like a 71 to me. Maybe I looked at it wrong but I though July-Sept 71. No indication of frame colour on that site either.

Scrapes some blue off and it looks like there may have been silver under it.

From memory I think that's a Mk1 which came out around 68, the tell tale features include the large hubs, IRZ carb and steel yokes which were all changed by the time the Mk2 and Mk3 models emerged in the early 70's

The frame was white then, certainly not any shade of blue

Hi
Photo is of a Mk1 1968 (as has been said).
1971 was the change over from the white frame to the silver frame.
So my best guess would be silver.
Regards
sparks

Edit:-
Yes look in the link provided by Bilks:-
March 1971 (21M 3000) New Colour ---- (meaning new frame colour).
So Frame number 21M42** would be the silver frame

Edited by sparks2

• 4 months later...

August 1971 frame grey (look great in silverfrost)gear lever on right these have the round like engine casings, 1974 square casing no black writing on engine casing gear lever on left with grey frame 1975 Black frame engine has black background to writing writing on casing, casing alloy colour. 1975 Alf Karlson repilica model is same in the 247 till 1977 then 1978 has a different slim line tank and different front mudguard bracket like the 348 & 349's 1975 first proto type 348 in 247 frame and few changes, 1976 348 in 348 frame. 1979/80 mk1 black frame red tank 349, 1981 mk2 red frame white tank red background on engine casing for writing black engine, 1982 mk3 red tank/frame alloy barrels black cranckcase1984/85 MH349 red tank red frame red guards. Note 247 could have gear lever on either side early models as this was an option when requested. I personally preferred the right side gear change for some reason possibly because I am right handed/footed.