Gearing Consensus

billyt

Curious to know what gearing Montesa riders have set up.

Is there a difference in the new 2014 Respol set up compared to the older Montesa's?

Basically what front sprocket and what rear sprocket are you using?

Thanks guys.

BillyT

Standard 10-41. 1st gear for pretty much everything

Standard gearing works for me - 1st is long if you choose to use it but still ok for slow stuff especially with a soft bottom end to the map. If you gear it down seems to take away from 1st so you ride things in 2nd which kind of defeats the object. Unless you hardly use the clutch for tight turns std seems fine. With tight turns and clutch I try and hold the throttle just above tick over and try and keep constant engine revs and then modulate the clutch for required speed/forward momentum, Blipping the throttle and slipping the clutch does not seem as good a solution.

Interesting combinations. I run a 10 - 42 I tried a 9 - 42 but first was to slow and second was too fast.

I think for me anyway I have found the "Goldie lock" gearing not too fast and not too slow.

I think the variations in gearing is down to type of terrain, weather, altitude, rider experience.

• Like 1

I've gone through all different ratios to find one I like, I've settled for 9-41 seems great, gives you confidence in bottom gear but still have the use of 2nd and 3rd. Even managed to pull 4th on balls out hill climb!

• Like 1