Beta Evo 300 4T: Known Issues, Common Problems, Things To Look For?

sherconoob

i'm about 7 months into trials now and had a chance to ride a few four strokes so looking to sell my Sherco 290.

there's a tidy looking beta evo 300 in my area, does anyone own one and can suggest things to watch out for with this model? googling around doesn't reveal anything. it seems the clutch was improved on this year model, it starts easily when hot. thanks in advance for any tips...

I have a 2011 4T. Great bike, stay on top of oil changes. Watch out for the water impeller blade, even on 2Ts...they sometimes distintergrate...really. Other than that, typical trials bike upkeep. Very pleased with the Beta, just wish they had more flexible fenders.

Tom

You either like 4T or you don't. Ride what you brung and take what comes with it!

??? i do like four strokes which is why i'm looking to buy one. i'd agree with "take what comes with it" but personally i like to know the typical known issues for a model to see if any money is needed to fix it.

i know most modern bike have few of these, but a typical example is the corroding case around the water pump on earlier betas. not a deal breaker but good to check before or just after buying when there are no obvious signs it is happening.

I have a 2011 4T. Great bike, stay on top of oil changes. Watch out for the water impeller blade, even on 2Ts...they sometimes distintergrate...really. Other than that, typical trials bike upkeep. Very pleased with the Beta, just wish they had more flexible fenders.

cheers tom. i figure you'd get nasty sound when it happens, or do they just go ahead and overheat then seize? ivé been googling around and everyone seems to love their evos.

Edited by sherconoob

I purchased a used 2010 300 earlier this year. On this first ride, the indexing cam fell off of the shift drum, no damage, degreased the threads and reloctited. Then a couple of weeks ago it stopped shifting again. This time the weld on the shifter shaft for the pawl mechanism had cracked thtrough. Again no damage, TIG'ed back together, and back riding.

nice save, arbutus! i figure that was just a random thing and not a known issue, can't track down any other cases of it online. by the sounds of it the bike suddenly just stopped shifting, but no weird noises leading up to that?

went for a test ride today, loved it. i'm definitely a four stroke bloke and fell in love with it straight way.

one thing though, there seemed to be a lot of tappet noise and the owner said that is typical and he's checked the gaps and everything was fine apparently... it certainly starts easily which suggests it is fine.

i tend to believe him but just thought i'd check with those who own one. i know my FE570 had a very noisy top end from new, as do all of them, and learned to just ignore it!

it's a 2013 model and he reckons he's only done about 20 rides, and wear of the tires, chain, chain guide, footpegs etc supports that claim.

Edited by sherconoob

yup. just spoke with a beta dealer and he said the factory got the valve settings a bit wrong in the factory on some models and ehe's had a few come in and adjusted under warranty. but reckons it was no biggy and some guys haven't bothered fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

??? i do like four strokes which is why i'm looking to buy one. i'd agree with "take what comes with it" but personally i like to know the typical known issues for a model to see if any money is needed to fix it.

i know most modern bike have few of these, but a typical example is the corroding case around the water pump on earlier betas. not a deal breaker but good to check before or just after buying when there are no obvious signs it is happening.

cheers tom. i figure you'd get nasty sound when it happens, or do they just go ahead and overheat then seize? ivé been googling around and everyone seems to love their evos.

Actually the bike still ran good, but just a bit hotter, which caused the top rocker box (top part of head with valves) to start to leak a bit. That part is only set up with a gasket sealent not an actual gasket, so my guess is because it ran hot it caused it to push a pin hole leak. Repaired that, added the impeller blade and she runs great.

Also been playing with diffrent syn oils and found that I like the Belray 4t Thumper racing version (10w50) which gives a nice smooth clutch action.

good info to know, and the oil tip too for good clutch action. i'll make a decision between two 2013 models for sale locally. the valves are a bit out on one as mentioned above but he'll drop the price accordingly. can't wait to give up smoking!

first ride today, so glad i gave up smoking. can definitely feel a bit of extra weight when hopping but the engine is so tractable, quiet and smooth. would have liked to spent my first seven months on one of these babies!

the manual doesn't specify intervals for recommended oil changes. i was doing the old sherco 290 every five hours as recommended by guys in the club, do you figure the same for a 4t?

on my dirt bikes i usually just replace the oil filter every second oil change, any reason not to do the same with the beta?

i know on some bikes the guys put small cuts in the sides of the rear fender it it's definitely going to break when it flips. the beta fender looks as though it would snap so does this sort of mod work? i know it will only be a matter of time with some of the riding i'll be doing. :-(

Edited by sherconoob

• 8 years later...

I really like 4-strokes for the low end torque, quietness and no need to mix gas and oil.  Would you say the carb issues would justify going with the fuel injected Montesa 4-stroke bike? Or does a Montesa have its own set of issues? Does anyone else make a 4-stroke trials bike these days besides Yamaha?

My 2-stroke Montesa has been relatively trouble free for the several years I've had it. It's just ridiculously hard to start when it's cold. When the bike is warm it's a one kick deal all the time, but if it sits for a few hours it sometimes takes 20 to 30 kicks to start. Aside from that, it's quite dependable for a 18 year old bike.

Would you say Montesas are still that dependable? Do you think a 4-stroke Beta would last that long?