Riding A 250 Trials Bike On The Road At 17

betatrials99

I imagine that the only time you would want to ride one of these bikes on the road is during a trial though. Has anybody actually seen anybody riding a trial with road work with this stuff fitted?

Most bikes I have seen at trial are illegal, and most of the riders are without liscences. I could have swonr that I saw a lad no older than fourteen on the colonial trial this year. :lol:

at 17 you are restricted to a 125cc motorcycle until the age of 21. To be able to ride a 125 you must firstly get your provisional licence and cmplete a CBT course (compulsary basic training). I

f you have a full car licence you can ride a 50cc moped/scooter without taking another test.

At 21 you can take the 33bhp test (which covers most, if not all trials bikes) or take the direct access which is an intensive course, costing quite alot. Direct access allows you to ride any motorcycle with any power. The 33bhp test alows you to, after 2 years ride any motorcycle with any power.

The law on this is always changing, the government are wanting less people on high powered, anti social, loud, offensive, dangerous and damn right good fun sports bikes. Well aren't they trying to stop us doing anything fun? Think DEFRA!!!!

Unfortunatly we trials riders fall under the same blanket, making it quite arkward and expensive for us (especially the under 25's) to be fully road legal on our trials bikes.

hope this helps

I dont want this to look like im snapping anybodys head off, but

at 16 you can do CBT and ride a 50cc moped restricted to 28mph

at 17 you can automatically move up to a 125 with no more than (14bhp if i remember correctly- around that mark anyway)

also at 17 you can do your bike test which will allow you to ride a bike up to 33bhp for 2 years (although you cannot buy the likes of an aprilia RS125 and derestrict it, it will only be 33bhp when derestricted but it will exceed the power to weight ratio!!!) after the two years you can ride any size bike.

At 21+ if you do not already have a bike licence you will need to pass your CBT then complete either your 33bhp test and ride restricted for 2 years, OR do your Direct access which will allow you to ride any bike.

I passed my 33bhp test when i was 17 and bought a TTR250, when i was 18 i bought an SV650S which i still have now (im 19 at the moment)

Hope this helps

Ryan

Thanks a lot but mirrors and

However it must have a speedo, electric continuous horn and rear reflector.

I agree with the Speedo and Continuous horn, but the reflector is only required if the bike is fitted with lights. Ie no lights, no reflector required. If you think about this it makes sence because what use is a relector during the day!

Also the Speedo is a legal requirement but is not required as part of the MOT test.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

No such things as  daylight MOT. If they are not fitted, they can't be tested. The only requirement is a horn, other than its general road worthiness. I was having a chat with my local MOT chap when he was doing my XR600. Might help if you can find a bike sympathetic tester rather than some officious jobs worth though.

• Like 1

yea, once you have passed your test you are limited to 33bhp, this meands that you could ride a restricted R1 althought it wouldnt ride at all. seeing as though a trials bike is all bottom end power, and very tourqey they are very low bhp so are legal to ride on road once you pass your test.

however, riding around on a trials bike you will get pulled ten times a day by the police, so to avoid penalties you must keep on everything down to the mirrors and indicators in order for it to be road legal.

You don't need lights, indicators or mirrors to be legal, proper size number plate, horn and high tyre pressures are fine though, and make sure your tyres are not stamped for off road use only.

Edited by the addict

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

Suggest reading the above, there has been quite a lot of incorrect information posted and the penalties for breaking the rules are quite severe particularly for young riders.

I know of 2 riders who have had fines in the region of £450 to £600, A ban (to run from when they are old enough) 6 to 9 points on the licence, and on top of that they will face a 2 to 3 times multiplier on their insurance premiums for all vehicles which means say at 17 & 1/2 years old they may have to pay £3,000 to £4,000 to insure a very basic 1.0 litre car.

Limiting under 19s to 125 cc was the result of EU legislation, the UK coalition government saw no point in it, but Tony Blairs Labour government had already signed up to EU licence harmonisation. I think the ACU should have done much more to oppose the under 19 restriction.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

Suggest reading the above, there has been quite a lot of incorrect information posted and the penalties for breaking the rules are quite severe particularly for young riders.

I know of 2 riders who have had fines in the region of £450 to £600, A ban (to run from when they are old enough) 6 to 9 points on the licence, and on top of that they will face a 2 to 3 times multiplier on their insurance premiums for all vehicles which means say at 17 and 1/2 years old they may have to pay £3,000 to £4,000 to insure a very basic 1.0 litre car.

Limiting under 19s to 125 cc was the result of EU legislation, the UK coalition government saw no point in it, but Tony Blairs Labour government had already signed up to EU licence harmonisation. I think the ACU should have done much more to oppose the under 19 restriction.

+1 for this....took the link right out of my hands.  :)

Had mine done a few months ago for the first time, so for the MOT -

It needs to be road worthy, obviously.

A continuous horn (eBay £8). Mounted behind my front number board.

A speedo is not required for an MOT but it is a legal requirement if you want to ride on the road.

A legal size number plate that is "permanently attached to the bike"...cable tied onto your backpack doesn't count, trust me!

No lights required but if the bike does have them fitted then they have to work.

On your tyres it might state "For off road use only in USA and Canada" on them. As long as they are in good condition all will be well......unless you're in the USA or Canada.  :)

Regards,

Chris.

Edited by elliotsdaddy
  • Like 2