Yz250 2 Stroke Into A Trials

foxracing199

Now I dont know if this has been done before but would it be possible to take my 96 yz250 and mount all the parts onto a beta/sherco style trials frame. I want the low frame and maneuverability and the a yz is what I have to work with. I just want to know what I would be getting myself into or if there is someone out there that has converted a bike into a trails setup

Hi, My first thoughts/considerations are power delivery, weight, gear ratios. Without any changes to these I think you might end up with what you have now in a different frame.

Cheers Taff

You could take the time required to cobble all that together and go mow lawns or something and buy a trials bike...YZ250 might fit into a Scorpa frame but if you find one it'll be attached to a working engine so...

Well thats kind of the point? A yz250 sits on a large frame with alot of difficulty touching the ground when needed. Mow lawns? Sorry if you can show me a kid that makes 8k mowing lawns lol. Anyways I have a lot of metalworking and welding experience so in that aspect its possible... basically has anyone done it? Id trade my bike for one but in North Central US theres not many around

There are people who have modified 1970s MX bikes for trials, and it is a lot of work, but the designs of MX and trials bikes diverged after that era to the point that by the 1990s, MX bike design became so far removed from trials bike design that it would be extremely difficult and expensive to make some sort of trials bike from a 1990s MX bike that worked well.

Hi as said.....I think the outcome of trying to turn a modern mx bike into a modern trials bike, would not work without MAJOR work.

Try find a old twin shocker and convert it into a classic trials bike. My dad has recently built 3 bikes. Donar bikes were Xl and Xr200 (rothmans).

They would be good enough to get you started.

post-18493-0-45282600-1399269693_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-89265400-1399269727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Define North Central US,Minnesota?Wisconsin? Dakota's?Michigan? if you can spare 2k you can find something and ride rather than wrench. Without some trials riding experience how would you know if your work was proper? (You may have Trials experience ,I don't know) bet there is an event somewhere in your neck of the woods,bikes are always for sale at those.

• 2 weeks later...

The power curve and gearing of the YZ is against what you would want in a trials bike. You need a larger flywheel and higher compression with out an expansion chamber. If you really want to do this sell off or trade your YZ for a Honda XL 250 or 350. Modify the frame and air box so that you can allow the bike to move side to side while standing.

There is not a state in the North of the US that doesn't have a trials bike. Check your craigslist.

--Biff

• 4 weeks later...