5 Or 3 ?

cabby

That was a five no matter what year rules you use. He had 6 points today, so which was it? He went backwards twice, 3 for two fives?

Edited by lineaway

Has to be a five, otherwise it's not justice for the riders that do clean it fair and square.

However, as an edit, it's easy to judge when you have multiple video angles to view, harder when your a volunteer on the spot.

Edited by shedracer

Put youself in the observers position.

Most ssdt riders are clubmen/women arriving at the section soaked through in miserable conditions.

Are you going to give them a bit leeway or 5 them all at the first opportunity?

I suggest all riders were getting 3s for similar rides.

• Like 1

There are several points to be made on this. At least in my mind of reasonable scoring to which the SSDT seems to attend. One may debate this all day, but!

Rollback for advantage is a 5. A simple bounceback or slideback is not an intentional rollback for advantage!

I will typically allow a 3 count for a stoppage of forward motion, yet one must continue to try! And without intentional rollback for advantage. He is pushing the limits here!

On a real edge, advantage to the rider, as all is up to the observer who needs to apply the rules equally for all not to be too strict and it is all subjective.

Stay within the spirit of the sport! Busting Baws does not promote it!

I say all that, yet if this was strictly top lads as in a normal trial I could easily be more strict, to little advantage it seems.

• Like 1

I'd give the Observer the benefit of their decision

Rather than debate it here, plus that camera angle doesn't tell the whole story

Conditions were horrendous yesterday & Doug was on top form on the sections I saw him ride

Don't see it that way Mark, before I became aware of who the rider was, I thought clearly It was a failure.I have looked at that clip time and again and there is no way I could give a 3. Everyone, top lads or plodders, the rule is clear, stop is a five there is no clause for a bounce back with a struggling effort to regain forward motion that over rides that, nor is the 3 count any help to the clean rider where his effort should have earned him a break.

• Like 2

i'd expect the observer gave the mark appropriate to what he saw.

if i were the observer id have probably given a 5. top class rider going backwards twice, spectator offering a hand obviously believed he d fallen off. if it were some lad paddling through i d have give a 3 for sheer effort.

You may thik it's fair to do do that,but you have to treat every rider the same.

If anything the better riders have to be treated with more discretion as they have something to lose.