5 Or 3 ?

cabby

Not quite the "Gordon Jackson dab" but gives a good idea of how DL lost what will probably turn out to be his few marks of the week.

(It was a very generous benefit of the doubt in my opinion).

Thanks to John Hird for the new perspective, reminds me why I have never wanted to do the SSDT, it would just be too physically tough to be enjoyable. Hats off to all finishers!

Edited by mattylad

The only important thing is that all riders must have the same treatment, Dougie or Mr Nobody, and the observer is the only judge, who is doing that for free.....Thanks to them

Matt, around twenty years ago i went two times to the SSDT to look and see if it was possible for me to do it, and my reflexion was the same as yours.......

Cheers from champagne region....

Put youself in the observers position.

Most ssdt riders are clubmen/women arriving at the section soaked through in miserable conditions.

Are you going to give them a bit leeway or 5 them all at the first opportunity?

I suggest all riders were getting 3s for similar rides.

Totally agree, if the Clubmen get 5'd for that on a regular basis, there'd soon be an Observer shortage up there. In general the Observers are fairly generous to everybody.

• Like 2

The observers are the ones that have to decide, not the spectators, but I would have given a 5, unlike mr Dabil's effort, which was a superb clean. All the riders will have no doubt benefitted from a lucky call at some point, but that was a very generous one.

• Like 1

From the angle of the shot in the vid, he had both feet on the ground at one point while rolling backwards , I'd of 5'd it ... But still a great ride ! to have saved it and got thru the section ...

Glenn

Absolute stone wall 5 ! ,on a trial this important there can be no room for 'benefit of the doubt' The observer has probably crumbled because of who it was , id say any other rider doing the same would have been 5'd Definately , I hope if he does win he wins by more than 2 marks because if he doesn't who ever finishes second will have been robbed , poor decision

• Like 2

the observer gave a 3 so it was a 3 !!

what you or I would give is totally irrelevant

Everyone is a ware of what was scored for this attempt, and you are right, makes little difference if we hark on about it. Don't make it right tho, everyone has a mishap, why keep going on about being consistent to all riders , a 5 is a 5, clip it and stop cheating the deserved clean riders. I bet he was even surprised and grateful, it is his good fortune to have saved 2 big marks at the end he rides.

Interesting discussion for me as I witnessed the incident yesterday. The loud urging of the crowd to Dougie to haul his bike

through the section after he had stopped, and cheering when he did manage to do this, may have made it feel that a 3 was right/expected.

Two opposing viewpoints seem to have merged from the debate:

1. Some leniency should be allowed for riders who only just stop forward motion, or try hard to continue through the section

after stopping, but it can be said that awarding 3s in these circumstances disadvantages those who keep moving forward, and

this doesn't really treat all riders the same as some who stop get 3s, some 5s. I have benefitted from this on occasion, even

asked to have a 3 converted to a 5 when I have blatantly stopped and having a 3 awarded would be in no way equivalent to

someone who kept moving throughout.

2. A stop is a stop and should be a 5 every time.

Rules allow for option 2 only.

I would like to observe at the Scottish, and have done so decades ago, but am afraid I would now be relieved of my duties

after a couple of days as me giving a 5 for every stop would cause too much controversy when the decision affects who wins.

I'm rooting for Dougie to win, but hope he does so by more than 2 marks.

• Like 2

In order that the debate can have a true perspective please note that having witnessed the observer at work first hand I am pleased to report that he was consistent with each and every rider that passed through his section irrespective of their status or ability - thus to suggest that one rider was favoured over another would be far from the truth.

Over the course of the week, as everyone knows and appreciates, you win some and lose some and overall things even themselves out and normally the best man wins...unless you are just seven times lucky!

• Like 1