Link Out Bank Sensor

barfy

Got the tank off my Montesa while I have it flattened, so I was wondering about linking out the bank sensor. I found a post saying that it's easy to do, but can't find the related post where it's actually described how to do it.

How do you link out the bank sensor?

Are there any consequences?

Like you can't lay the bike almost flat on the ground because I've taken off the stand (it never floods)?

Mine was done when I bought it but having looked since its just had a link put in the relevant multiplug at the back of the engine. I think its probably an air box and throttle body off to get access.

Never had an issue when I though - wish I had one. If you go for a lanyard kill switch at same time then probably more protection with a much simpler solution.

Best of luck - pm me if no better responses.

Yes,

It cuts out the engine once the bike has been so far from vertical for a period of time. The exact angle and time are specified somewhere.

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

Link the 2 outside wires together, there's 3 in total. I think its red/white and the green, but its definitely the outside wires and blank the middle (possibly white) wire off.

The angle sensors were troublesome on some early models, not allowing the bike to start. Think they're ok on later bikes, but taking it off and moving the relay directly behind the shocker to the head stock under the tank (the wire comes from there anyway) does tidy that part of the bike up.

• Like 1

Tidied my in box now!!

Ally support bracket would be interesting - keep a copy of your template I may want to copy it. I have also seen more compact capacitors available but not sure of effectivness/reliability?

Have you seen the Alloy fuel pump mounts/tank bottom to go with your flattened top -looks a good weight saving.

I removed the bank sensor (and connected the two wires) more than a year ago with no problems. I also have a lanyard kill switch.

The aluminium tank bottom is not only a good weight saving, there's the possibility that the steel tank bottom might rust and cause fuel problems.

Link the 2 outside wires together, there's 3 in total. I think its red/white and the green, but its definitely the outside wires and blank the middle (possibly white) wire off.

Yes that's the right just connect the red/white wire with the green wire.

The angle sensor is not a good emergency engine kill switch, the engine will run for quite a few seconds before shutting off. I've removed on all my bikes, use a lanyard kill switch. Whilst removing it, you can take the opportunity to get rid of a lot of weight and tidy that area up, get a future condenser from H&D and junk the massive Honda one. The future alloy fuel bases and carbon hose, alloy banjos are a good upgrade too. I use a T Miles alloy base for the rectifier as below. You can also see what I did with the bank sensor wires.

post-14348-0-64594900-1399655614_thumb.jpg

post-14348-0-34685600-1399655628_thumb.jpg

JJ65 - Thank you for the images they are just what I needed to make sure that I do it right!!

You mention a T MIles alloy base. Do you have any contact details?

Cheers

David

JJ65 - Thank you for the images they are just what I needed to make sure that I do it right!!

Cheers

David

There £20 mate, I'll PM you details if you want one. I'm at work until late, but I'll put a pic up later.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but since Ive discovered what some of the 4RT electrical connectors are, I thought Id share this info with anyone wanting to remove their bank angle sensor without butchering anything and allowing it to be re-fitted (for what reason I dont know). As mentioned above, if youve fitted a lanyard kill switch you can save 110 grams by removing the bank angle sensor. But you need to link the earth and sense wires together.

The original connector is a Sumitomo HM-090 series. These are nice fully sealed connectors if not a little on the large side. Where can you get them? Well I dont want to fall foul of the admin here but if you google "cycle terminal" you will find the supplier I used and hes great genuine connectors, cheap prices, cheap and fast postage.

For linking out the B/A sensor, you need the 3 pin male half only (Male HM090-3) which comes with terminals and seals. You also need one HM Connector Cavity Plug (Plug 090) to seal the unused centre pin. Simply wire the two outer terminals together as shown below. Then remove the B/A sensor from above the rectifier/regulator. You need to remove the air box first. The mounting screws are 7mm hex head. The connector is under the large vinyl boot above the front sprocket.

post-16811-0-26621800-1426480340_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiechris
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

and#160;

and#160;

Cheers

David

I am wondering about this alloy plate too.

Are they still available?

If so, where, please.

Do they support the capacitor? Or would I need the smaller one from H&D.

Are the smaller capacitors reliable?

Regards,

Dave.