Last 4T

neo

Last production models I believe where 2010. Saw a pic of a 2011 at a show and heard you could special order them, but don't think there are any around.

There where a good number of 2009's. Heck I had 3 of them!

Thanks Chris,

Ok please tell me .... Was that 320 engine well suited to Trials? .... Did the high pot raise the centre of gravity by much?

Best of balance.

Neo

Sorry perce, but I don't follow your logic here.

I'm sure you know that the 320, like all the other 4T's was originally developed for environment conservation reasons (2T's were going to be abolished) and the smooth delivery of power was/is well suited to Trials.

But it was a more expensive engine/bike that weighed more and did not have quite as much power as the 290....The price alone made it less popular but I believe that popularity has nothing to do with "a Good bike" or "a Bad bike" of my choosing.

Best of balance.

Neo

I'm sure you know that the 320, like all the other 4T's was originally developed for environment conservation reasons (2T's were going to be abolished) and the smooth delivery of power was/is well suited to Trials.

But it was a more expensive engine/bike that weighed more and did not have quite as much power as the 290....The price alone made it less popular but I believe that popularity has nothing to do with "a Good bike" or "a Bad bike" of my choosing.

Best of balance.

Neo

Now you're really making me giggle. If you don't like 4rt's buy a Beta, it's a nice Trials bike.

Edited by perce

Neo Perce is trying to tell you the 320 four stroke sherco is rubbish. Heavier yes but also difficult to ride, quite lumpy power, engine braking like other 4ts and wont start when hot. We are trying to help you bud.

• Like 1

Ok I get it now... Sorry ;-)

This is the kind info I needed .... Many thanks guys.

Slightly off thread ... What do you guys know about the Beta 4T engine?... Any good?

Best of balance.

Neo

Best of balance.

Neo

I've ridden a couple of different 320s, got to have a decent ride on the importers own bike when they were released. I managed to start it easily which annoyed him no end, for my ability & bearing in mind it wasn't my bike I don't remember it feeling that top heavy & I felt if I was forced to ride a 4stroke by the rules as was looking at the time that the transition wouldn't have been that bad although I still preferred my 290. Power on the early bikes is very controllable & would suit most riders

The other bike I rode was an 08 or 09 model straight out of the crate, the importer & myself had a quick play in the yard before he delivered it to it's owner, the power delivery was very snappy & I think for most people it would have been a real handful, definitely focused more towards expert level riders

Thats interesting Tony,

I remember some time back there was a guy on TA that fitted and OKO 24mm to his Sherco 4T and said he loved it after that.

I'm feeling kinda over the 2T's. I'm still just a novice rider that wants a more docile ride now.

Best of balance.

Neo

Weighy is another 2 kilos , neg. Bike is a ripper, pull your arms out if opened up, but a pussycat putting about. Nothing like it! Real mans bike it is!

I figure a high cost maintenance pig though. Top ends and bottoms stressed.

Beta is a sound bike it seems. The 250 is a silent softie, while the 300 has more guts.

Open either up a bit with exhaust change and they liven up.

I like the 250, still costly, but less than the heavy Mont.

The mont. has its advantages. But new cost is way over my head. Which they all are.

Edited by copemech
  • Like 1

I've had more time on a 3.2 than most people and I'll say I really liked them. Note I didn't have the first 2005 models. I had 2007-09 models which where much improved.

The bike isn't much heavier or feel top heavy, though you can feel it. Like most four strokes it is easier to balance which I like.

From my experience the motors are very reliable. I never did any motor work and that includes adjusting the valves!

Once you get the carb set up properly the bikes are no problem to start. Even when hot. Though you must give it a kick like a man! In fact on hot days when the bike is really hot the bikes run even better! Like the motor is looser and runs more free. Starting is also easier. On cold days or trying to ride the bike when its not fully warm the motor always felt really tight. Also the older and more time a bike had the better it seemed to work.

As far as power goes the 3.2 has plenty of it. Lots of bottom end torque. That's what I liked about it. For this reason however I don't believe it really suits lower class riders. On the other end it doesn't rev really high so top experts or pros don't like it. This is why I believe the bikes didn't make it, they only fit a narrow range of riders. It has to be a rider that likes fourstrokes, isn't a lower class rider or isn't a upper expert/pro.

I've had more time on a 3.2 than most people and I'll say I really liked them. Note I didn't have the first 2005 models. I had 2007-09 models which where much improved.

The bike isn't much heavier or feel top heavy, though you can feel it. Like most four strokes it is easier to balance which I like.

From my experience the motors are very reliable. I never did any motor work and that includes adjusting the valves!

Once you get the carb set up properly the bikes are no problem to start. Even when hot. Though you must give it a kick like a man! In fact on hot days when the bike is really hot the bikes run even better! Like the motor is looser and runs more free. Starting is also easier. On cold days or trying to ride the bike when its not fully warm the motor always felt really tight. Also the older and more time a bike had the better it seemed to work.

As far as power goes the 3.2 has plenty of it. Lots of bottom end torque. That's what I liked about it. For this reason however I don't believe it really suits lower class riders. On the other end it doesn't rev really high so top experts or pros don't like it. This is why I believe the bikes didn't make it, they only fit a narrow range of riders. It has to be a rider that likes fourstrokes, isn't a lower class rider or isn't a upper expert/pro.

Yea, but you flipped bikes every season. Keep one and ride it for 5 years or more and that could change. I almost got one, I love the power and feel of a real big bore 4T, but honestly I would need to de-tune it for my needs. The original "05 was easier to ride but the carb just did not work for the bike.

Neo, If you are not into the Mont, the Beta 250 is the pussycat you want! No noise, no stress, it will go if you twist it. First time I rode one it reminded me of my old 80's XR 200 Honda power. Reliability seems good by reports. The CV carb is the next best thing to the FI on the mont, and without some the downfalls. And in a light enough package to the average rider is not gonna matter. Can be upgraded to 300 if big power wanted.

Everything is a tradeoff.

Edited by copemech