Steering Bearings - Bottom Bearing Removal

duncanstokes256

Hello all, can you help?

I'm replacing my steering bearings on my 78 Sherpa, removed the old bearings from frame as I'm fitting the new tapered bearings type. Then realised I have to remove the old lower bearing race holder from the lower front fork brace (see attached pic)

Any advice as to how to remove? Assume you need a press to push out the steering shaft from the brace to get the bottom race holder off?

Ideally I want to retain the old original dust plate if possible.

Thanks in advance and hope the above is a good enough description of the problem?

Dunc

post-7556-0-07056500-1399738469_thumb.jpg

Hi Dunc,

You can sometimes get them off by getting a stick welder (arc welder) and running weld around the bearing face - it seems to contract the race and it drops off. This also works on the outer race in the frame if you need to remove them.

If that doesnt work you may need to cut off using a thin cutting disk - you'll need to be careful if you dont want to damage the bottom dust plate.

good luck,

Stu

Hi dunc ive done a few off these they can come off easy or they can be hard think I only ever had 1 that came off in tact anyway I first get 2 big blocks off wood on the bench I then heat the bottom off the dust cover with hair dryer or hot Air gun I rest it inbeween the 2 blocks off wood then with a flat ended chisel or a drif somthing that wont cut into the dust cover.hope this helps bondy

Just to add if you heat it up enough it should come off easy with out hardely any damage.like above the dust covers are easy to buy.you should be abel to get the bottom race off with out taking the dust cover off I did it once again heat makes it easy to get off I wrapt a rag round the race and with a set off grips clamp it on the race then tap the grips down if its stubbon may take afew stabs but Iit dose work may have to heat up a few times or you may be lucky and get it fist go good luck bondy

Get a bit of tube that slips over the stem down to the bearing. Weld a washer and an M12 (or similar) nut onto the end of the tube.But a bolt through the M12 Nut and something on the end of the stem for it to push up against. Tack weld the tube to the bearing race with a 10mm long tack on each side. Immediately after welding (so welds do not have time to cool and contract) tighten the M12 bolt and it will pull the bearing race off.

• Like 1

All done, used the Dremel to weaken the ball race, then a couple of well placed light blows to the base and bingo - and managed to save the original lower cup - result.

Next job to fit the new lower bronze bushes into the swing arm - think I'll use a local garage's press for that.

Many thanks all - will more than likely have further questions as the re-build continues.

Best

Dunc

• Like 1

Hi mate glad you got it done. Ive just had some new bronze busses pressed in wouldnt atempt it unless you have a press. Am also having some pressed out ready for new paint.good luck mate