Newbs, But Feeding The New Addiction!

mags

G'Day,

I put an intro in intro but the trials saga should belong here, hopefully?

After 32 yrs my wife wanted to obtain her motorcycle licence! She had tried a go many years ago but got a bit intimidated.

I said to her, " you wanna learn balance, clutch, brake, throttle learn on a trials bike, it takes no prisioners!! "

She said ok! I started on a quest to find a trials instructor that supplies a bike! We did! He is a past National Champ and State Champ!

Of we went to his property and he gave her a 1 hr lesson on a Scorpa 125cc Yammy engined bike. The lesson was to eventually learn enough skills to pass the motorcycle test here in Australia and ride on the road with me!

SHE WAS IMMEDIATELY ADDICTED… even though she fell inwards on the first figure eights and face planted! Ouch! Dusted herself off and stood back up on the bike for more!!! My wife is 50 yrs!!! Not so much pain at 20 but 50… double ouch!!

On the way home she asked if I could source her a bike for home to practice the stuff she was being taught? No problem! I'll ring the Instructor and see what is for sale?

He happens to be a Beta Agent so I did a bit of research and ordered a 2014 Beta Evo 4T 250cc.

She has been on this bike now for 4 months and is coming along famously! Never ridden a motorcycle ever and can do craggy downhills, smooth gullies and ride over a 6 inch log already!

I was using the bike as well and we have about 25 hrs on it… plenty of static balance after dinner every night or second night, BIKE IS IN THE HOUSE!!! Hehehe

I felt the need to get my own and she agreed saying be great to follow me and learn the better ways… yeah right! I had face planted twice in the first novice class trial comp I've ever entered… one month ago! Talk about getting ambitions and capabilities mixed!!! Hehehehe

I went with the 2014 Montesa Cota 260 Standard and ordered one from Aussie agent! I picked it up from the freight depot about 5 hrs ago and its sits with cardboard box off but not un-crated til my wife arrives home from work!!

So we have turned into a couple of 50 and 54 yr old "tragics of trials" enjoying it to the max!

Freaking amazing, riding these things!

Mags (Anthony)

• Like 6

Ok! Bike is uncrated! First thing I notice is the quality of how things like the plastics and exhaust are hung off the frame et cetera.

The fasteners do up into nutcerts (not just a threaded hole in frame ally) and the fasteners are shouldered to apply the right amount of pressure on plastics, NICE!

Owner's Manual is a ripper and gives all the torque settings for assembly and on-going checks and maintenance.

I've run it around yard to start run-in procedure of motor and bed the brakes in. Feel like a kid at Christmas!!

The idle was high at 2430rpm as crated (measured by Tiny Tach) and now set at 1750 after first warm up. Bike feels and sounds much better obviously.

Dropped tyres to 5.5 and 3.5 for now and seems fine for static practice. Might go another half for Sunday's ride as a start.

I'm fitting the power cone today and will run it that way unless it is too noisy for neighbours, soon see!!! Hehehehe

Cleaned factory grease off chain and re-lubed with a multi-purpose clear lube I use on the Beta. Attracts far less dust.

Sag set seems ok for my weight for now but will re-check after full day ride this Sunday.

Set clutch and brake lever to my liking and clutch seems pretty good one fingered… after plates get to wear in it should be even better.

Went over whole bike checking fasteners, attached my carbon fibre fork and swing arm protectors in silver, look great to me.

Starting is a little weird with having to just push kickstart through its arc rather than just kicking at it… who would have thought you could kick start injection!!!

Dunlops are very different to Michelin Comp 11 on Beta, much less wall bagging but after dropping pressures seemed to static the same.

I'll put some pics up when I work it out… sizing, method, et cetera.

Mags