Lowering Footpegs - 2012 Beta Evo

dspittel

Hi -

I'm looking to improve the fit of my 2012 Beta Evo 200 and have a couple of questions. I'm 6' with a relatively long upper body, and have replaced stock bars with higher rise bars to improve the ergonomics. Main problem is neck pain from constantly craning up to see where I'm going.

The bar adjustment was not enough to make the bike comfortable, but I don't want to go higher. Therefore am thinking about lowering foot pegs.

Was wondering if anyone might advise as to:

1. Whether this mod is likely to help ergonomics

2. A source where one can buy foot pegs / brackets for a Beta Evo

3. The maximum amount foot pegs can be safely lowered

Brand recommendations also welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

Hi

Sorry I cant offer advice here but I dont think lowering pegs is a good idea. I catch my pegs on rocks often and even got hung up by my stand on sunday (13 evo). I am 6 ft/86kg.

Try tilt your bars back a bit to give you a more upright position.

I'd imagine the pegs are as low as they can go without going below the level of the sumpguard. I think you have to accept that it is a trials bike and just get used to it. Lots of tall guys rode 348 Montesas; try one of those then realise how good the Beta really is for bar/footpeg distance :D

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I heard a good one the other day regarding this.

"Bend your knees"

Yep, just a matter of geometry...taller people need to bend more at the legs to lower their torso…all of this from a 5 foot 9er

To be a bit more serious and perhaps more productive than my previous contribution. Though not terribly tall I have notoriously bad posture on the bike causing similar craning and would suffer pain between the shoulders. I cured this by wearing a buff which presumably prevents draughts affecting that area. Might be worth a try?

Tall world champions and other local tall great riders never address this issue. Have you ever wondered why? Our body position is relatively the same. In fact tall riders have it much better. Your height is usually the same as your arm span. Go measure yourself. So the ride position is very similar between people. Taller riders, just have the grasshopper effect, they have more body to throw into the movements.

And lowering or raising the foot pegs drastically affects the balance of the bike

The bike will pivot around the axles on both axis and where the weight is applied to the chassis has a huge effect

Look at bicycles, bottom bracket height on mountain bikes are -50mm or more and trials bicycles can be as much as +80mm and the balance effect is very substantial

• 2 weeks later...