Faulty S3 Pipe?

southwester

I just bought a second hand S3 pipe of ebay for my Rev3 its in as new condition with a light coat of fresh oil (not carbon) inside the bloke who I bought it off said it had only been on for while which I did wonder why, I might have found out it dosent fit properly.

With the pipe pushed in the mid box the front of the pipe hit the bolt that fixes the radiator, with that out of the way the radiator bracket, the gap was about 8mm more to make up with gaskets so I shaved off a bit of the radiator bracket lug and the pipe hits the strut that links the frame and bash plate, its about a 3mm gap between the 2 mating faces so with 2 gaskets and some sealant I should be good.

If I would of bought this brand new I could of took it back and it can be got over any way but has anybody else suffered this fate with there pipe or have I got unlucky again.

The pipe could be bent. I have also seen several bikes where the midbox gets twisted/shifted from light to heavy crashes and makes refitting a pipe (even the same one that just came off) difficult to fit back on. The midbox typically gets torqued pretty good when the rear silencer gets hit.

Seems like youve already tried to make midbox adjustments, but maybe worth another look. If you haven't done so already, make sure all the midbox mounts are loose before trying to the align pipe. good luck.

The pipe could be bent. I have also seen several bikes where the midbox gets twisted/shifted from light to heavy crashes and makes refitting a pipe (even the same one that just came off) difficult to fit back on. The midbox typically gets torqued pretty good when the rear silencer gets hit.

Seems like youve already tried to make midbox adjustments, but maybe worth another look. If you haven't done so already, make sure all the midbox mounts are loose before trying to the align pipe. good luck.

I don't think the pipes been bent out of shape as literally looks brand new just seems its not been manufactured to the right measurements it's not bottoming in the mid pipe as much as it hit the radiator fixing lug and now strut(s)

Cheers any way.

I'm the p****d off "bloke" who sold the pipe. I sold it because I refitted the original to sell the bike, having upgraded to an evo. Not to get rid of a faulty pipe and to be frank I resent the implication. The pipe is mint, undamaged and fit my 06 rev 3 perfectly. If you have allignment issues it's not the pipe thats the problem. You must have something else bent, misalligned or wrongly assembled. Check your rad is fitted correctly and that your mid box isn't moved too far inboard.

Edited by hoodie2
  • Like 1

Small world hoodie! Hahaha Not to sure I've written anything to offensive reading my post back I said I might of found the reason you as is turns out sold the pipe on but it seems it wasn't right unless your offended by me referring to you as a bloke when you might be a women! Sorry for which ever it is and I shall be more sensitive with my posting in future!

The pipe is mint though and please leave me good feed back on my purchase

Cheers

I'm the p****d off "bloke" who sold the pipe. I sold it because I refitted the original to sell the bike, having upgraded to an evo. Not to get rid of a faulty pipe and to be frank I resent the implication. The pipe is mint, undamaged and fit my 06 rev 3 perfectly. If you have allignment issues it's not the pipe thats the problem. You must have something else bent, misalligned or wrongly assembled. Check your rad is fitted correctly and that your mid box isn't moved too far inboard.

Cool it dude, he never said anything like that.

The Akropovic I had on my 08 was right up against the bolt. In fact you could see where the bolt was scratching it's way into the titanium. And yes it was brandy new. These hand built pipes are a little variable.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1