Exhaust Leak

heffergm

So my Beta is behaving in typical Italian fashion... looking beautiful, but perhaps not quite Germanic in its assembly.

The exhaust leaks where the muffler and the header join, basically right behind the carb. I pulled the muffler off and the rubber rings are in there, but when it's all joined up the fit isn't terribly positive.

I can probably keep ignoring it, but if anyone has suggestions on sealing it up better I'm all ears.

It's a '13 EVO 300 2t by the way.

Edited by heffergm

i use plumbers silicone for use on flues, heat rated so wont melt/ catch fire.. if its good enough for keeping folks alive its good enough to keep your mistress quiet..

that or i have used ordinary silicon sealant and it worked fine

Beta`s leak for two reasons. You crash. Or you crash and bend the exhaust and break 007370900 000 the rubber mounts.

I've crashed plenty so I won't rule it out, but the rubber mount you're referring to is just a bushing between the frame and the exhaust. It doesn't actually bolt on. On mine it's definitely pushed inwards a bit, but still contacting the frame.

Heffer: I think you need a new bike, this one is full of problems!

Only kidding :).....I also faf too much.....ill actually stare at my bike so hard, it will develop a oil leak :0

My silence also leaks a bit, used red rtv and resembled. Still leaks but not as much.

That rubber silence mount screws into the frame and the a bolt is used to secure the silencer to the mount. They brake very easily if the bike is dropped on the silencer side. I have replaced mine with one bolt and tap washers between frame and silencer. If you do this, you need to turn a recess into the bolt under the tap washers so that it can brake when you drop it hard

I used Permatex rtv gasket maker to fit the pipe in the muffler today.(2013 2T)

I put about a 1/4 inch bead around the pipe and inserted. There is a nice bead pushed out around the joint that will be removed when dried. I just hope I can pull it apart when needed.