Kickstart/junior Kickstart

blocky

I have fond memories of rushing home from school to watch kickstart on the TV in my youth. With the events going on at Hawkstone I began thinking if perhaps it was time something like this was done again. What do other people think?

Hi all, my first post on the forum.

I used to love the Kickstart series. Back in the early eighties, 82/83 I think, myself (B Class) and my brother (C Class) did the qualifying round at Priest House, Nottingham for Junior Kickstart. It was an excellent weekend, stayed over in those little chalet things they had there and was well fired up for a chance to get on the telly.

Despite it being my first "proper" arena trial I felt pretty good getting ready for the start. Then it all went wrong!!

Fived the first section, two water filled skips about 8 feet apart joined by a plank of wood. Made a right mess of the cable drum see-saw section and then my composure just got up and left me. On the second lap I fell off the top of an Austin 1100 (went to take a dab and the roof wasn't there.... :wall: ). Bent the bars on my Majesty, some guy came running over to straighten them but in doing so snapped them clean in two.

I was relieved! All I could think of was "Dad, I wanna go home!"

Looking back on it I loved every minute of it and it's something I'll never forget.

Bring back Kickstart!!

Gaz

There was a sort of Kickstart-a-like program that ran on Men & Motors either last summer or the summer before...but it just wasn't as well put together...

I reckon if we had a whip-round, we could get Peter Purvis and those St Johns Ambulance blokes out of retirement!!!

Does anyone know the (in)famous clip of the young fella falling off the balance beam and smashing his nuts on the tank of a Fantic (I think it was)??? Is that young fella lurking around on this BB perhaps?? Would the original Junior Kickstart Goolie-Banger, please step forward....!!!

Cheers

KB.

Does anyone know the (in)famous clip of the young fella falling off the balance beam and smashing his nuts on the tank of a Fantic (I think it was)???  Is that young fella lurking around on this BB perhaps??  Would the original Junior Kickstart Goolie-Banger, please step forward....!!!

""In Junior Kickstart I'll never forget the young lad who fell on the 'pole-over-the-hole'. He hurt his pride and almost destroyed his manhood, but the ensuing rush of St John's Ambulance men into the pit, where they all fell over, was a piece of television hysteria! (and history!)."

Taken from the Peter Purves Website

I'm struggling to remember who was competing in the event I was on about above. Will have to dig out the old scrapbook.

Pretty sure Tony Scarlett and Darren Snell were there. Some of the other guys who I used to compete against (for compete, read lose!!) around that time were Paul Edmondson (never forget that SWM of his), Jeremy Craggs, Paul Furness, Richard Brown, Rob Edwards, Nigel Mackenzie and others that slip my beer riddled memory.

Remember getting my picture taken with Peter Purves at one of the adult Kickstart meetings one year. Also remember being in total awe of Eddy LeJeune and his 4T Honda. That man could make a bike dance! What about Bernie Schrieber making mincemeat of the Transit vans!

Slightly off topic but one of the biggest memories I have of my days in the Youth classes was a day of private tuition with Pete Cartwright up on't Richmond hills. My Dad used to have his own sports promotion business and somehow managed to blag Pete into agreeing to it. It didnt make me a world beater but I sure as hell enjoyed it!!

I remember being a wee bit jealous when Elite went to Kickstart. He used to live in the next street to me.

My old man's idea of International travel was anything over 50 miles :wall:

It could so easily have been my nuts on that girder :o:(

Can't remember who that was for the life of me. I remember nearly crying laughing at the St Johns blokes rolling round trying to get to him.

Does anyone know the (in)famous clip of the young fella falling off the balance beam and smashing his nuts on the tank of a Fantic (I think it was)???  Is that young fella lurking around on this BB perhaps??  Would the original Junior Kickstart Goolie-Banger, please step forward....!!!

""In Junior Kickstart I'll never forget the young lad who fell on the 'pole-over-the-hole'. He hurt his pride and almost destroyed his manhood, but the ensuing rush of St John's Ambulance men into the pit, where they all fell over, was a piece of television hysteria! (and history!)."

Taken from the Peter Purves Website

Wasn't that a young Graham Jarvis???????

the boy that fell in the hole closely followed by st johns was mark scholfield , i was lucky enough to be next to go after it!!

i did 3 junior kickstarts and one schoolboy/pro one, i was with saunders we won all the heats and we finished 3rd overall, it did absolutely **** down just before we started, and thats the excuse i'm using.

wayne

Edmondson (never forget that SWM of his), Jeremy Craggs, Paul Furness, Richard Brown, Rob Edwards, Nigel Mackenzie and others that slip my beer riddled memory.

Craggy was wandering round Hawkstone. Nigel Mack not seen him for over 20 yrs, top drinker and "swordsman". :wall::o