Bantam Gearbox Woes

blocky

I'm currently rebuilding a bantam D10a 4 speed engine and i've got a couple of problems....

1. The 3rd / 4th gear selector fork keeps popping out of engagement with its dog. I'm pretty sure that the selector fork is damaged but it doesn't look like there is any breakage. I have (hopefully) attached a few pics to help explain the problem.

Is the fork damaged or am I doing something else silly ?

2. I need to replace the bronze bushes in the final drive gear. Are there any hints or tips for this ?

post-870-0-23821400-1402518808_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-75410400-1402518894_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-22498700-1402518897_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-92402400-1402518899_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-45491100-1402518902_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-91542900-1402518904_thumb.jpg

As you both say... I would also expect there to be 2 arms and I suspect that this is where the problem is but there is no indication that anything has broken off.

I bought the engine off ebay in a supposedly "ready to use" condition. Needles to say that when I stripped it I found the big and little ends were scrap as were the bearings. In addition, this sector fork was disengaged but there was no sign of any broken off parts.

both selector forks are the same so whip out the other and compare. personally i think one of the arms looks too short from my experience ,

getting bantam boxes together isnt straight forward but there are worse to work on.

Edited by totalshell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cam plate rollers should hold the selector fork tight in the cam plate have you got these ?

The selectors are a pair so should have the same profile .

Looking at some spares I have they look pretty much the same as yours .

Maybe slightly more of a round profile on mine think yours may have been filed down ??

Hope this helps

post-4149-0-65023200-1403649479_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a replacement. Once it was in my hand it was very obvious that mine was damaged.

Next problem is the bolts that attach the cam plate assembly to the casing. Can anyone suggest anywhere I could get a replacement or have one they are willing to sell ?