Paioli Fork Question About Travel/stroke

wfo9

Update. I removed the spacers/pucks (there was one in the bottom of each fork lower). I tried the longer spring, but it was not good as it made the front end too stiff and the bike was not balanced.

Anyway, I did not gain much travel (maybe 10mm), but the fork feels so much better. Those last 15mm of down travel now have very strong compression dampening. There seems to be a special circuit on the spring side that kicks in the last 15mm. It can be easily felt with the cap off and moving the fork up and down. This was not present when the spacer was in place and that was the reason I was getting such a harsh bottoming out on larger drops.

I'm assuming they added the pucks so that the fork tubes could be raised higher without hitting the triple tree on the smaller bikes.

I still might be missing about 10-15 mm of extension and may machine an extension for the rod at some point. Right now it feels pretty good overall. Much improved!

Great that you are happy. I could put the right fork together that it would be shorter than the compression side without any physical changes. It is just a matter of how air and oil are bleed. Still a very strange set up.

Great that you are happy. I could put the right fork together that it would be shorter than the compression side without any physical changes. It is just a matter of how air and oil are bleed. Still a very strange set up.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. It turns out it is is typical to have the compression/rebound side extend much further than the spring side when they are not linked with the caps off.. I was told they all do that to some extent.

I think the fork I have is exactly the same fork that was on most betas and Shercos, the only difference was the spacer pucks in the bottom of each leg and the actual rod on the spring side (which controls extension) might be a a little shorter than normal. They are all a very simple design.

There is clearly something different in the last bit of stroke on the spring side in terms of compression dampening. Something restricts the oil flow dramatically (which is exactly what you want before bottoming out).

I can't say that I'm an expert or that my bike is optimal, just that it feels much improved and is starting to feel more like a modern bike.