Ty250 Mono Front Disc Conversion

macduff

Hi there.

I've recently picked up an 85 TY250 mono and I'm thinking about putting a disc conversion to the front end.

I've trawled ebay but there's nothing kicking about.

Can anyone recommend a particular conversion or solution and where i can get one from.

Reading between the lines the disc and drums are pretty much the same in the dry but I live in Scotland and not afraid to get wet so hopefully the difference in wet conditions would be worth the conversion.

Cheers.

The kits used to use Brembo calipers and hydraulics, can't remember who did them but they were prohibitively expensive.

Some of the kits looked a bit bulky, probably best to look for someone breaking a "pinky" which was the later air cooled Yam with the disc brake and fit the whole front end.

83/84 yz125/250 complete front wheel (zsp0ke) caliper and master cylinder. I had a friend fabricate an aluminum mount that just was clamped to the Ty forks. It was cheap off a parts bike and worked a treat. Better than all the trials brakes of that time.

83/84 yz125/250 complete front wheel (zsp0ke) caliper and master cylinder. I had a friend fabricate an aluminum mount that just was clamped to the Ty forks. It was cheap off a parts bike and worked a treat. Better than all the trials brakes of that time

It was 1985 the N model which first had disc brakes, the 84 was the twin drum brake. The 85/86 set-up is much sort after, with the Pre 85 Evo series lots of people looking for them. Not a cheap route, last good set sold for over £300 ( wheel, caliper, disc, master cyinder and spindle ) and you can add over £100 more for the fork legs.

It was 1985 the N model which first had disc brakes, the 84 was the twin drum brake. The 85/86 set-up is much sort after, with the Pre 85 Evo series lots of people looking for them. Not a cheap route, last good set sold for over £300 ( wheel, caliper, disc, master cyinder and spindle ) and you can add over £100 more for the fork legs.

You are right, my mind is slipping.

A TYZ wheel will go straight in to a Pinky front end, don't know about drum brake model though. I know a guy who used to borrow his mate's one to get his Pinky through the MoT...

Edited by craig10