What Are The Strengths/weaknesses Of These Bikes.

wfo9

I'm searching for a new bike. I currently have a Sherco st 2.9, but it is an access model from 2009 and it is a bit outdated at this point. I like it overall, It has been very reliable and sturdy, but I have recently ridden some more up to date bikes and they felt much more capable. I was instantly able to do things I could not do on my current bike. I could hop them around where the Sherco just feels too heavy. I think the main issue is the suspension and heavy frame on my current Sherco. It has a frame from a much older model.... I initially thought I could improve the suspension... but its really not worth my time to mess with it. It was perfect for my skill level at first and I could still continue to learn on it, but I feel I could progress quicker and have more enjoyment on a newer bike at this point.

Anyway, I'm considering a new Beta EVO 300 or a new Sherco 300. I'm pretty much sold on those two brands as I know both dealers in my area and they provide great support. I'm sure Gas Gas is also a great bike.... but there is no dealer in my area. Montesa would be on my list for sure, but there doesn't seem to be any available in the USA at this point.

I'm also considering a 2012 used Sherco 2.9 or a 2011 Beta EVO 290.

There is obviously a big price difference to get the newer bikes and I'm curious if others think they are worth it. The new ones would be ~$7500 where the used ones would be ~$4300

I know each bike has its pros and cons. Just curious what other have experienced.

I'm just looking to hear strengths and weaknesses of each bike, I don't want to create a war about which bike is superior... I plan to ride each, but would like to know what to focus on. I'm sure the 2012 or 2011 would be plenty of bike for me, but it might be best to just get the latest revision now if they are greatly improved. .

Edited by wfo9

Beta all the way...

I had a 2014 ST sherco 300 and I end up selling it after fiddling 3 months trying to carburate it... It comes with a fuel pump which is a nightmare to mantain and to carburate...

Sherco comes with formula brand clutch and brake controls which I coudnt end liking...

Clutch are similar between the two brands...

Chasis Beta wins hands down...

Quality wise, and longevity is far better with Beta...

In all these years I've been buying trials bikes, I have learned Beta are hard to kill, bullet proof bikes...

I would go with Beta....

Edited by ilovetrials

Beta gets my vote, easy to ride and well sorted, just buy plenty of Loctite and don't over tighten the fasteners into the alloy.

Only thing I don't like on the newer models is the external stator arrangement, I would make sure its well guarded.

Edited by dadof2

I rode the 2014 beta 300 a little today. It felt and rode fantastic to me. The only thing that concerns me is that some things about the newer bikes look pretty fragile. My good old Sherco is built like a tank. I'm not so sure these newer bikes will hold up as well.

I also got the speech from a more experienced guy that it would be a horrible bike for me because it is a 300. There seems to be a general consensus around here that only master level riders should be on anything over a 250. Some are even riding 125s....

I'm not sure I agree with this view. My current bike is a 290 and it has all the power I need, but I don't find it being unwieldy to control... In fact, I feel there is an advantage to a bike with good low end grunt. The Beta felt very smooth and predictable in the short amount of time I was on it.

I may be able to score better on a lower CC bike, but I ride trials mainly for fun....

I am pretty new to all this, so maybe I should listen to the advice.

Don't listen to the talk about a 300 being too big. IMO, all other things being equal, a 300 is easier to ride than a 250 at any skill level because it is normally at a lower state of tune.

Buy based on local support. I owned several Betas followed by several Shercos. Having owned both, I don't like Aluminium framed trials bikes any more. They look good and the idea is appealing, but the Betas were horrible to work on compared to the Shercos, (enough so to make me say never again).

While I do agree that the build quality of the Betas is the best of any brand, the most trouble free bikes I owned were the Shercos.