Side Stand Fix.

hoodie2

Just got a 2012 Evo, which is a great bike, but has a really annoying stand. It just won't stay tight. When I had a look at it it had helicoil inserts that had loosened with the bolt. Tried re doing the thread repair and re asembling with new bolts and loctite but it's come loose again. Is this a common problem with the model and if so what's the best fix? Anyone tried drilling right through the swinging arm and putting long bots through from the top with nuts underneath? Other idea was going up to m10. Also should the bracket have a pad that fills the gap to the underside of the swinging arm? Any ideas much appreciated.

Mine also was never tight. Did use blue loctite. But eventually it stayed a little slack which meant that it did have some give in it when it hot a rock etc. My original Beta rubber pad did not last long, so I found some cheap mushroom shaped rubber stoppers at our local rubber shop (www.clarkrubber.com.au/mushroom-buffers.html) and the stalk was 10mm diameter so I just prepared several of them (so i had spares) to be close to 8mm and squezzed it into the little bracket on the stand and they worked well and lasted for ages. Or could drill hole in bracket to be 9.5mm or less so the stalk would squeeze in without modification. They do need to be tight. Cheapest trials part ever! Of course many will recommend taking the stand off, but I liked the convenience.

Edited by peterh

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at cast iserts. Do the ez lok type work okay or is it better to look at something like time-serts? The rubber stop is another issue and I'll try something like suggesred. What I was wondering about though was the front bracket, where it is parallel to the underside of the swing arm. Should there be a gap there or should this be filled with a rubber pad to stop flex when the bike's weight is on the stand?

Cheers.

I had a silmilar issue with the helicoils for the rear skid plate mounts on a Rev3. EZ lok worked great. As I remember, the pilot hole size for the EZ Lok was the perfect size to clean out the threads for the helicoil without removing any extra material. (10 mm screw?) It also used a standard sized tap as opposed to some other brands that required special taps.