penno350

199 Gearbox Oil Seal Replacement

Is it feasible to replace the oil seal behind the gearbox sprocket on a 199 without splitting the engine?

hello yes ive done loads off them quit easy to come out i just use a blunt big flat ended driver and gentely tap out dont go mad or you will damage the crank case i find a few taps from side to side dose it. if it dosant pop out i get 1 side out and pop it out with a oil seal puller. then clean round seal Area dont for get to change the small oring behind the oil seal i normal replace the top hat bush at the same time but you dont have to if the old 1 looks ok. then with a socket thats the same size as the oil seal tap in so its flush with the crank case job done.

Edited by bondy

Lot easier than I thought, used an exhaust spring puller to ease the seal out, no problem at all.

Don't suppose you have size and a part number for the seal do you I'm changing mine tomorrow

Sorry Taff, just ordered directly from Dave Renham didn't measure it. Bondy, I would suggest some combination of a piece of inner tube and some cable ties.