'04 280 Pro Kick Starter Position?

sawtooth

Bike starts and runs OK, usually second kick hot or cold but it does take a hell of a kick so much so that its almost impossible to do it without standing up on the bike and dropping your body weight down on to it, obviously this is a good technique anyway but it can be annoying when stalled mid section as I can't leave one foot on the floor and start it. Also the amount of force required seems like its too much, as in I'll end up damaging something one day, it makes a loud crack/snap sound when starting and sometimes makes a weird click sound which I don't think is right at all, happens pretty rarely but does do it. I have had a good look at the pawl gear etc when I had the idler (i think) gear wear out on me and jam up the kick starter mech last year and all looks OK, I'm just not overly happy about it.

It seems to me that when I've found TDC the lever is in about the 11 o clock position (which I think is good) but does seem to drop a little more when I get my foot on it ready to kick which leaves me with not much room left to kick it as the lever is then a bit low.

Where should the kick starter be exactly, this is mine now:

Resting

20140629_163644_zpsw4zbjuth.jpg

TDC

20140629_163638_zpshwnaclfw.jpg

I've tried moving it clockwise one notch but that didn't help and I tried going anticlockwise one notch but the lever kept getting jammed in the foot peg after kicking it.

Do not just jump on it, you have to make sure it is engaged. It takes a fast kick to work. I sometimes have the same trouble, I just get my big kid to start it. The funny thing is it`s a 300 Raga and the previous owner sold it for not being able to start it!

After a bit more messing about I've found that after finding TDC with the lever about 11 o'clock it does seem to drop to nearer 9 or 10 o'clock when I put my foot on it (even lightly) so I've rotated the lever clockwise by one notch so that even after its dropped a little its still at 11 o'clock. Will see how that is next time I take it out.

Edited by sawtooth

Do not just jump on it, you have to make sure it is engaged. It takes a fast kick to work. I sometimes have the same trouble, I just get my big kid to start it. The funny thing is it`s a 300 Raga and the previous owner sold it for not being able to start it!

I deffo don't just jump on it, I find TDC then kick. I've studied Jim Snells starting video it just seems that I'm not getting enough rotation out of a kick.

Looks like you need oil in the gear box to be honest. Kickstart looks okay just make sure bike is set up correctly and it should start upon quick sharp kick once enaged kickstart, just use choke n no throttle from cold and then some throttle when warm.

It is a bit of a knack. I was warned by the UK importers themselves when I bought my 300 new that they were not easy to start. But you can learn how to do it. Get the engine and kick-start to the best (highest) engagement position and...a good hefty kick, easier if you are up on the pegs. If you kick at the kickstart without engaging it with your foot first you may chip the cogs. That's about £150 for the two, and as noted above one is only a quadrant anyway. There is a demo short video on You Tube somewhere by an American guy.

Looks like you need oil in the gear box to be honest. Kickstart looks okay just make sure bike is set up correctly and it should start upon quick sharp kick once enaged kickstart, just use choke n no throttle from cold and then some throttle when warm.

Bike is leant over to the left, oil level is fine.

It is a bit of a knack. I was warned by the UK importers themselves when I bought my 300 new that they were not easy to start. But you can learn how to do it. Get the engine and kick-start to the best (highest) engagement position and...a good hefty kick, easier if you are up on the pegs. If you kick at the kickstart without engaging it with your foot first you may chip the cogs. That's about £150 for the two, and as noted above one is only a quadrant anyway. There is a demo short video on You Tube somewhere by an American guy.

Thanks, yeah I've read up plenty and watched the videos. It's probably just due to the engine size then, maybe I'll get a 250cc next!

Try an Iridium plug gaped to 0.023" - they help alittle.

Getting proper purchase and a good quick snap on the kicker(think club head speed) is the key. I know guys who swear there bike is messed up and wont start and I can start it 1st kick. The 300's can be a bear. If you still have difficulties, a low comp head and a FWW helps alot.

Try an Iridium plug gaped to 0.023" - they help alittle.

Getting proper purchase and a good quick snap on the kicker(think club head speed) is the key. I know guys who swear there bike is messed up and wont start and I can start it 1st kick. The 300's can be a bear. If you still have difficulties, a low comp head and a FWW helps alot.

Thanks I'll try the plug.