Help 2011 Tr280I

ricarvar

Hello There,

I'm quite new to trials and in fact motorcycles. I just got my new "used" 2011 Ossa Tr280i to finally start learning about it. I've just been a couple of hours on it and decided to give it a good clean from its previous owner... and the fun began; while taking off all the dirt and grease I found a couple of issues listed below,...that have not idea how's better to address... so any tips, suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

1. Crack in the muffler - close to where it connects to the exhaust (see pic)

2. No clip master link - I only know the chain says "Iris" on the links. What should I know to get a new clip master link?... how to order it or buy it from a typical motorcycle parts store?

3. Loose hose... don't know where it connects (?).

I'm crazy to ride it... is like watching a cool tasty ice cream from the outside glass on a hotty summer day... :crying:

Thanks in advance !!!

ricarvar

post-20175-0-36220300-1404187670_thumb.jpg

post-20175-0-42839300-1404187687_thumb.jpg

post-20175-0-55373600-1404187708_thumb.jpg

post-20175-0-55502600-1404187721_thumb.jpg

Crack on the muffler should be able to be welded by a decent welder

The missing clip from the joining link needs to be replaced before you ride it, you'll probably need to contact a trials dealer as to my knowledge only trials bikes use the brand & trials chains are generally lighter than used by other types of bikes. The actual clip part may be common with another brand of chain if you get stuck

The tube is a gearbox breather, not sure where it is normally routed but it's had a meeting with the chain at some stage. Personally I'd prefer to see it longer & looped up to the frame somewhere

Working backwards from from issue 3 to 1....

3, This is the gearbox breather and the free end doesn't connect to anything. I'm not an Ossa owner but I would imagine it just curls around behind the front sprocket pointing downwards towards the bash plate, job done!

2, Yep, you've lost your split link. Just order a new one but make sure its for an Iris chain as I don't think the Renthal ones fit. Its important to make sure the rounded nose of the retaining link is traveling in the forward direction when on the chain. If you put it on the other way round there are places like the tensioner that could hook the retaining link off.

1, Right, this ones a bit more difficult. From the photo it looks like it might have been welded before but you need to remove the exhaust and take it to a good welder who knows how to properly weld aluminium to sort that crack out. If the crank propigates to the flange threaded hole nake sure the weld goes this far and then re-tap (re-thread) hole. If you want a bit of a bodge fix maybe some car exhaust repair paste might suffice but not sure how long this would last in the tough world of trials...

Hope this helps?

Gary.

Extend the breather up towards the headstock and run the bike with more oil as recommended on the Ossa website. I think they recommend 450ml now rather than the original 350 .. I can't remember off hand

My lad's 2011 exhaust was much worse than that. He used 'JB WELD' onto a hot exhaust and it left a nice smooth finish which lasted till he sold the bike 4 months later. Easy to get and cheap ( try EBAY) or obviously as others have said get it done properly by someone able to weld Alloy

Edited by wayne509

The Isis chains are pretty bad. I'd ditch the whole chain and get a decent one.

As mentioned above, the gearbox breather should be extended up near the headstock.

Run full synth oil and change it a lot.

Mark