Safe Drop-Off Technique?

Last trip out I ventured down a dry creek bed and did a few dabs until I came to a 2ft6" to 3 ft washed away area that was a straight drop... and it was a two-footed 5 to take stock of the situation. MMMMmmmmm!

I felt I might go back over front so chickened out. For me, rightly so... no need for any injury at this stage!

I spent 5 mins piling rocks against the face at a 45 degree to enable me to go down the face for now and continue practicing riding rocks with minimal dabs. Remove rocks with more experience.

You wouldn't believe it... as I'm moving rocks against drop-off face this voice from above says "Hey Mate!... No altering the section!!!"

Thats right! My cheeky wife has read the rules!!! Geeez!!!!

I said back to her " Rule no 1 sweetheart... never hassle your mechanic!" Hehehehehehehe

So whats the go here....

Do I pop the front a little just before edge.... so you hit ground below with front and back wheel at same time? Man! I'd be going pretty quick for rocky area?

Or... Pop front wheel higher so back wheel hits lower level first and then front? Even quicker to try to pull up?

Or... Just put backside low and rearward and just ride down slowly?

Or... none of above?

I think the first two, popping wheel up is beyond my experience in the creek bed with the rocks. I can pop front up on the flat but not able to hit skids and pull up in bike length to avoid rocks after popping wheel for drop-off...yet!!!

Maybe I can drop front over and let bashplate slide over edge.... to then just drop back down? Sounds safer???

Thanks.

Mags

Some times you can drop the front off and slowly slide on the skid plate. If the drop is undercut or so tall that the front wheel is off the ground when the skid plate is sliding, there is a good possibility to go over the bars.

In those circumstances it is better to wheelie off and land the rear tire first. If there is no smooth ground below, As soon as the rear wheel drops, pull in the clutch and land with both brakes on. Absorb the shock by bending your knees on landing.

2' 6" is not so bad, but the technique up to 4' is probably the same.

Try this, flat area steady throttle a bit above a slow walking pace.

same thing with a 1 foot drop then a bit more then 2 foot and so on.

if you keep a steady throttle even though the front is in "mid air" it shouldnt drop.

if it drops increase speed slightly or move weight back sort of bum on rear fender so front doesnt drop, too much too quick.

as with all these things set the obstacle that s giving you problems/worries but start small.

does that make sense?

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1

Drop offs are scarey.

Drop offs at the bottom of a steep down hill are worse.

I would approach very slow and then give just enogh juice to hold the front up (bike level) until the bike clears and drops level and hit both brakes on landing (training thinking going on here), ready to negotiate next obstacle.

Thats what id attempt but ive seen who has responded and I would take their advice over mine.

I need to work on down hill and then a vert drop off......still sh!t scared of them.

This might help: http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/drop-offs/

Note how before riding off the ledge his weight is still centered over the bike,if you get your butt back on the fender too early it will tend to throw you over the bars when the front wheel drops. I make it a point to look over the edge,almost actually getting forward(not really,just mentally) and push the front wheel away from me down the drop,allowing the rear fender to come up to my ass the bike goes over,the core of my body stays centered over the footpegs the whole time.

If you're helping yourself with rock stacking just add enough right at the bottom to give you front wheel a hint of rollout for safety ;)

drop-off-a1.jpg

drop-off-a2.jpg

drop-off-a3.jpg

Wow! Thanks! Some good info there! Cant wait to re-visit the drop-off now! Might have to move some of those pesky rocks someone piled up!! Hehehehehe

On the rock above it looks like the the front can just drop over but upon a bit more study the bike must have been accelerated near edge because the back wheel is near edge but front wheel still not on ground (middle pic)

I'll have to practice a one foot drop-off like suggested.... approach, pull front up enough to keep bike horizontal or just up a bit in front and hit ground with both wheels.... well, thats my aim as a beginner to build up to bigger drops.

Mags

I am pretty new to trials and only started as extra midweek practice for riding my Enduro bike, I feel the Trials is easier and more forgiving, anyway, I had for a long time been wanting to practice dropping off ledges safely, so I started small then moved onto about a 2-3ft ledge, the process I use is the same regardless of size.

Ride in slow, foot on back brake, get near the end, compress, lift and a little acceleration and the bike literally just hops off the ledge, I learnt the whole process in a day and spent my time hoping off every little drop I could find, here's a little video showing the drop I was using, I know it's to flat but the process is the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2dYv6EufZI

Thanks for the vid!

I'm basically trying trying to do the above and I think my first attempts need run-off past the drop-off. When more experienced I can do small drops and practice pulling up just after the drop. I was very daunted by the drop-off I came to because you had to stop after drop-off in noir much more than a bike length.

I have just purchased some besser blocks (cinder blocks) and can stack them at home for an 8 inch drop (200mm). I can practice running along them and then loading front for a lift to come off blocks horizontal.... well, thats the plan at least!

Mags

I am pretty new to trials and only started as extra midweek practice for riding my Enduro bike, I feel the Trials is easier and more forgiving, anyway, I had for a long time been wanting to practice dropping off ledges safely, so I started small then moved onto about a 2-3ft ledge, the process I use is the same regardless of size.

Ride in slow, foot on back brake, get near the end, compress, lift and a little acceleration and the bike literally just hops off the ledge, I learnt the whole process in a day and spent my time hoping off every little drop I could find, here's a little video showing the drop I was using, I know it's to flat but the process is the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2dYv6EufZI

All good and well getting off the ledge with a jump,but I can tell you if I am laying out sections you won't get more than a bike length from the drop to the boundry tape,and that would be in even the lowest,easiest level line(height of the drop might be different for the classes but I'm gonna hold 'em in tight just to stop the motocrossing off of ledges) higher classes=bigger drop and less room beyond. If you really want to wheelie drop be ready to land with the brakes locked.

But do be prepared to use the Wheelie drop when sections call for it,you never know when it will be just the ticket...

Yes, landing rear wheel first is Ok for the Enduro brigade but, as above, trials is more about control i.e. front wheel touching down first. I do fear drop-offscrazy%20goat%20show%20teeth.gif but nothing beats that adrenalin rush of getting a nose-down drop-off completely wrong!

• Like 1

Both the wheelie drop and front tire drop are good techniques to learn. I think I prefer the wheelie drop on bigger drops because I feel it leaves me more of a safety margin. Too slow on front tire drop, or anything that could stop the front tire (soft sand, root, rock, etc) and the chances of going over the bars is greater.

Also, if the obstacle is not level left to right, touching the skid plate can throw you off to the side very abruptly.

If you have the skill to do a "stoppie" (Not in my skill bag yet) a front wheel drop makes it easier to pivot the rear of the bike to the side for super tight turns.

Note: I have never gone over the bars with a rear wheel drop but have found many ways to go over them with a front wheel drop. :chairfall:

• Like 2

TAF,

I'm kinda hoping I never go over bars! Is there a trials God you light a candle to... to stop that!

I can almost static long enough to say a very short, last prayer to trials God... just before clutching it! Hehehehe

I have not tasted dirt for awhile... I'm due!! Hehehehe

Mags