Nice Video Worth A Look... Question On Riding Gear

scooterspal

I don't see many trials riders, in general, using chest (roost) protection unless this is hidden under their shirts.

I, for one, plan to always wear one. I have the hard plastic type. Has saved me many times from getting hurt from falling on my dirt bike.

What do others feel is best for them?

• Like 2

I'm still sad because I couldn't make it to Aywaille this year. One off the best classic trials in Belgium.

And I've got a Leatt 3D Airfit upper body protection, but I only wear it at the more difficult national trials, and only when it's not to hot.

I've got a Leatt 3D Airfit upper body protection, but I only wear it at the more difficult national trials, and only when it's not to hot.

Well, since we're sharing... I own the Answer Apex Roose Deflector. Weighs almost nothing. Very cool. You don't even remember you're wearing it.

Until you fall, that is : )

In trials you have too move. The only time I ever needed a chest protector was Desert racing. When you are running down an arroyo at 70 plus, those rocks can hurt. At 5 mph you should be able to take care of yourself. Believe me, that should be the least of your worry in trials.

I had a complicated clavicle fracture when going over the handlebars of my mountain bike at low speed which resulted in not being able to even ride my car for four months.

And on another occasion I went over the handlebars of my trials bike on a drop-of resulting in a frozen shoulder for several months.

So these days I'm a bit more cautious.

At 5 mph you should be able to take care of yourself. Believe me, that should be the least of your worry in trials.

During my first-time practice sessions this past weekend I spent most of the three days on the pavement doing figure 8's, weaving in and out of traffic cones, etc. Then I got a bit more adventurous and went up on the grassy section where there were some trees on a small hill.

All was going well until I got a bit tired. Should have stopped there... but I went back at it. Hit a tree with the bars, flipped the bike to the side and down I went with the bike on top of me. Still have a pain in my shoulder and back on two ribs. Nothing broken and I will mend fine.

Had I been wearing my chest protector I would not have gotten banged up. And I was riding no where near even 5mph.

At 60 my bones are not what they were at 14. I'll wear the protection and work around it. The open plastic roost protectors do not restrict movement and they weigh next to nothing. Why take chances?

Edited by scooterspal
  • Like 1

I wear hard knee and shin protection as well as elbow and wrist protection. Based on their condition, it is a good thing that I do! I can't imagine how many times they have saved my body from painful impacts.

And of course a real helmet, not a bicycle helmet.

My wife and I watched the vid last night! Really enjoyed it!!! That poor bugger (in red) that went down really cracked his knee!

We are pretty happy with Wulfsport gear. Have pants, boots, helmet and gloves in that brand.

I noticed the pants are actually made in Scotland! Scottish trials pants... no wonder I'm improving! ;)

Mags

• Like 2

My wife and I watched the vid last night! Really enjoyed it!!!

I've been watching some Youtube training videos done by the Western District Trials Club.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6Lrqmphte_EJv-vjzj5gg

They are very well done with great narration. The terrain out there was meant for trials. I'm envious of what your country has to offer and glad to see the sport is so well received.