Which Year Is This Evo?

tirolean

hi!

Tomorrow i´m going to see this Beta Evo, the owner claims it to be a 2009 Evo Factory 290, but i doubt that, in my opinion it´s about ~2011

can anyone tell me which year this bike is made? maaybe it´s just a painted frame

how do i see it from the frame number?

since when do betas have 300 instead of 290cc?

are there any other tips about what i have to look for at an evo?

http://www.willhaben.at/iad/gebrauchtwagen/motorrad/beta-evo-factory-89178179/?adId=89178179

it´s this bike

greets

Dani

Hi. Sorry I cant help with the year but should it indeed be a 2009, check the frame around the fuel tap for leaks. Mate of mine had fuel leaking out of a crack by the fuel petcock. It was a known issue by beta and beta replaced his frame with a new one free of charge.

Hi it's unlikely to be an 09 as that model had the rad filler cap coming out of the left side of the frame behind the rad. 2010 onwards the rad filler is at the front.

Check the bike starts easily when hot, stop n start it a few times and ensure the electric fan cuts in and out. Get the bike on a stand or box and take hold of the rear wheel and check for up and down movement on the rear suspension linkage.

Hope that helps.

thanks´, helps a lot!

so if the rad cap isn´t in the middle of the rad it´s a 09? i hoped to get a cheap shot on that one, but if it is indeed a 2009 it´s not that cheap :D

i´m thankful for any other tips!

any weaknesses of this model?

It's before 2011. I.E 09 or 10 as it has only the one fixing bolt for the rear frame arms (under seat area, to support air box) 2011 on have two bolts per side. Also 2011 was the first year that Beta did a 300 as a "factory" special and from 2012 both the standard and "factory" special where 300 cc.

thanks again for such fast and helpful answers!

as far as i know from ´11 on they had black frames, so this one might be painted or a newer frame, how do i check this? black colour works great to hide cracks i think...

are there any engine noises which aren´t good or which are normal?

regarding the frame number: on which position is the year it´s made?

Edited by tirolean

I remember the Top Team bikes were black framed. Maybe that is the seller's definition of "factory". You should be able to get frame numbers off the headstock which should give year infomation. I know in the US the importer had to cut the head off of any 09 that had the frame replaced to make sure the old frame couldn't be reused. I think that effectively retired the original VIN.

As far as looking for cracks it's easy to mistake cracks in the anodizing surface treatment for cracks in the aluminum. A fact shown to me by Ron Commo Sr. when I asked him about what looked like fractures on a Techno frame. He grabbed a piece of steel wool and ground down that section of frame to bare aluminum. Pointed to the now unblemished bare metal and said, "See, no problem" Not one to waste time that man.

I have an 09 Beta and I think it's a 2010 model, red tank side covers look 2010, just with a paint job on the frame and some nice looking anodised triple clamps, no problems I know of with that model, and any 09's with the fuel cap not off set should be ok also.

Steve,

bought the bike, it was in a dream condition!

it´s a special model from a local dealer who equipped her with new rims, tripple clamps, factory exhaust, overworked engine and suspension. it still has the original tires on it, which are nearly new :D

• Like 1