Fan Not Running!

danyorks

My 2004 rev3 250... My fan will not kick in??

I have tried bypassing the thermostat by connecting a piece of wire between the thermostat terminals and reconnecting the wires to the terminals but the fan does not work. I have tried wiring the fan directly to 12v supply and it spins great? I am now confused - any suggestions?????

From what I have read, I am leaning towards the rectifier.

1. the bypass made no difference - the fan still did not run!

2. direct voltage - the fun run excellent

So I am thinking either rectifier or a loose wire somewhere. I am going to have to do some investigating, maybe remove the radiator to expose the wiring?

You already know the fan runs with DC applied to the fan.

If you can use a volt meter, test for voltage at the fan using AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) scales. It should be DC. Of course, the bike should be at temp so the thermo switch is on.

If you are not familiar with a volt meter, you could also simply connect a 12 volt light bulb in place of the fan. If it lights, you have power. The bulb will light with either AC or DC.

If DC, the fan should work. If AC, the fan will not work. The rectifier is what converts AC to DC power. So, if you find AC power, replace the rectifier and you should be back riding.