Buying A Scorpa Sy 250 Racing 2003, What Should I Look For?

tirolean

hi!

on Sunday i´m going to have a look on a scorpa sy 250

what things do i have to look for? are there any special weaknesses?

http://www.1000ps.at/gebrauchtes-motorrad-1151010-scorpa-sy-250-racing?pos=0

it´s this one: it says: engine rebuild, new tires, stronger chain ( :D ), and new grips

the trial would be for my friend, but i will go with him there because he´s new to trials and doesn´t know what to look for

i´d appreciate all kind of answers !

greets

dani

well, the price itself is for austria normal/not high; i bought a 2010 factory evo in mint condition for 3200€

thanks for the tipp with the tensioner, i called the guy yesterday and he doesn´t know anything about trials, so i think i got a good chance to get it for about 1800€. I´ll look at the normal things like bearings, noises, chain, fork seals. i´m sure i´ll find something at such an old bike

if it would have had a hard life, it wouldn´t matter that much because my friend is a beginner and will throw her away multiple time, i think ;D

if you have any other tips, please write em ;)

Yamaha engine parts are now very very expensive, over £500 for a clutch side case for example so if the bike is rough it could be very expensive to put right.

I know of an SY 250 being scrapped recently because of the cost of parts, it would have been cheaper to buy a good 315R

Edited by dadof2

I would avoid this bike as its very flimsy. Ive see tanks smashed clutch cases holed n even an engine break in halve. The carb is a nightmare to remove its subframe n exhaust off.

This is why they aren't in production still a poor bike and this one looks dire, glad you're not helping m buy a bike

I would avoid this bike as its very flimsy. Ive see tanks smashed clutch cases holed n even an engine break in halve. The carb is a nightmare to remove its subframe n exhaust off.

This is why they aren't in production still a poor bike and this one looks dire, glad you're not helping m buy a bike

I disagree, I've had 3 gas gas, a beta, and 2 scorpas. I never felt like the bike was flimsy, yes the carb is a pain to get to, but they are so reliable disturbing the carb isn't something that needs doing often, unlike the beta. They are bulletproof engines which when cared for will give you lots of trouble free fun. Great clubman / novice bike, which can be easily tuned for aggressive or soft approach. Parts can be expensive or hard to come by now so key is to buy a good one, plastics inc fuel tank are expensive, as are engine parts, serviceable bearings, filters, seals, pads etc are cheap.

Not quite true.

Where would you get a 2014 or 2015 in Europe.

As for flimsy my mate bought an 03 new and it fell over on the stand and the gear lever put an hole in the flywheel case as it was waffer thin. Tanks are very exposed unlike other trials bikes.

Next time i have a bag of crap to sell it will be Austria, 2000 euro for a shed, crazy money

They are out of production because because of financial mis management, not because the SY was a bad bike as you suggest.

Lots of bikes have flaws, drop most the wrong way and and you'll shag em somehow.

This doesn't detract from the fact that the Bike has had it's day, parts are hard to come by.

it´s not my fault that prices are high here

we will have a look at it today, if it isn´t that bad and the price fits, my friend will think about it

he´s a beginner and uses it just for riding in the forest and so on, so he doesn´t need such a good end expensive bike, because it will surely get some more scratches ;)