Corroded Spoke Nipples

shirepig

Citrus acid works very well for getting off any rust or corrosion but you need a big containment to fill so the wheel will fit. I have used it for cleaning up the radiators as there had too some corrosion inside.

It worked very well, best and fastest result you get when heating up the water acid mix up to 70deg. Celsius. Also the parts should be de- greased before use oil as grease will protect the corrosive against the acid.

Assuming they are the original spokes / nipples, as far as I know the original nipples are no longer available. So even if you managed to remove the old nipples, the spokes can't be re-used as new nipples are manufactured with a different thread, so won't fit.

You need to check this first obviously, but if still the case you may as well just cut through the spokes as a complete set of spokes / nipples will be required

I've got some really old ones to move with a good soak in plus gas then plenty of heat on the nipple with a blow lamp.

The Bultaco spokes had a 3.5mm thread according to the book. If you get new nipples they might well have a 6-40 UNF thread. However the two threads are so close to the same pitch that it's possible to just run a 6-40 UNF die down the spoke and clean it up enough so the nipple will screw on nicely. Use a good cutting paste if they're stainless spokes.

Edited by trailie

Shirepig -

My own experience has been similar to trailie's :" I've got some really old ones to move with a good soak in plus gas then plenty of heat on the nipple with a blow lamp."

However, as you haven't posted your location, I cannot be sure that "Plus Gas" (penetrating/dismantling fluid) would be available in your area. I'm also unsure about the availabilty of replacement original nipples as I've not bought any for some time. Good luck with yours - HTH.