Worst Observing Ever Seen

NAD1

They had three on the section in question. I was to the left of Bou when he restarted the bike as was the observer who was making the decisions. I didn't realise he had stalled it and perhaps the observer didnt either. But Bou had clearly stopped and the rules were not applied.

• Like 1

phb... I have learnt to stay away from the politics or any committee positions as thats when it goes bad for me. Too many arguments... usually with fools who can't see the big picture or are on power trips.

Fools etc...Or to describe them another way, the people who are prepared to organise all the events in Oz and everywhere else.

Thanks.

I wouldn't say "EVERY" person who has organised a trial comp is a fool... absolutely far from it! But to say there is no foolish behaviour on trial committees is not right either.

Take my experience... no observers available you self observe, I got through 15 sections of 40 and gave it away... some were pretty dangerous for novices, in my opinion. No call for any beginners at rider meeting. I ran through most sections by myself, looks like I was too slow for most to hang around.

Say I joined, then got elected to committee as they are short com members... then I suggested as a committee member... can we set sections for novices as well, look after new people like gold (they are the new observers, committee members), a call must go out for beginners at comps and we should organise an experienced rider to take 1-2 each under their wing and run their first trial with them. I state my case to help bolster falling beginner numbers. I imagine riders put back and do their share of observing.

Mr Five Year on committee or founding committee member says... sorry mate, you've been here five minutes don't know what you are talking about... that won't be happening. (They have forgotten they were a beginner once).

If any committee member doesn't want to look after people new to the sport they are a fool... and I've been on enough committees to have learnt not to argue with them anymore.

The better the committee, the better the club, the better the club the more members, the more members the more chance of a big observer pool, the bigger the observer pool the better the quality of observing.

Lets see what happens at our next comp when two people with sparkling 2014 trials bikes (in their fifties) turn up, keen as mustard for all aspects of the sport. Maybe we are the fools...

Mags

• Like 1

The spectacle of seeing the top riders in action is in sports second to none in my opinion.

These are professional riders, with professional minders run by professional teams.

At this level my suggestion would be 3 observers per section as mentioned in a previous post, but possibly the FIM/ACU should consider training. The FA would not allow any volunteer to referee or linesman a match. They have to gain certification before taking on the responsibility.

However, the riders/minders/teams do know the rules and should be professional enough to identify & acknowledge when a fault has been made and accept the consequence. Snooker & Golf are 2 sports (ok, snooker ??? before someone mentions it) but the players know to acknowledge there error otherwise, if it is identified at a later point they can forfeit the game/position they were in. In the Bou example, he knew he had stopped (in fact the bike slightly reversed as he kicked it), so did his minder, and it was definitely a 5. To accept the clean was unprofessional.

Take the SSDT approach as another example. Scores are recorded and not reported until end of event. This takes the focus off the observer.

Yes, our sport relies on volunteers (& I do observe at club level when time permits) and they are under the spotlight but surely this is an FIM/ACU(or regional authority)/Team/Distributor issue to get a common level of training/support delivered to the events. They all strive to make money selling bikes, accessories, entry fees, admission, parking, camping, food etc so maybe they need to 'fund' what is becoming the biggest issue in our sport - observing !

If the manufacturers did not make money they would not be making bikes.

PS - I've been to a limited number of WTC and the only ones where paid admittance was necessary was Nord Vue & Fort William. Does that mean the other countries receive funding in other ways ? (e.g. National Lottery)

• Like 1

How can a stall (engine off) not be a 5 and given a zero................beggars belief in a 'No Stop' ruling

Every club trial, you'd get a 5 and make no mistake

That's why I have little interest in WTC....... for me the world's best Trial will always be the SSDT

Let's see BOU ride that one, in 2015 :hyper:

Edited by johnnyboxer

How can a stall (engine off) not be a 5 and given a zero................beggars belief in a 'No Stop' ruling

Every club trial, you'd get a 5 and make no mistake

Let's see BOU ride that one, in 2015 :hyper:

I've not seen the WTC rules but in 2014 ACU TSRs for non-stop engine stopping alone doesn't mean a failure and for stop allowed doesn't mean a failure provided only the tyres and no other part of the bike nor the rider is touching the ground.

Be great to see Bou in the SSDT - isn't it about time?

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by ian640
  • Like 1

Bou stopped between 3 and 4 seconds by my count on section 4. I've got it on film ;-)

I'll put it on vimeo if you want me too.

I'm undecided about whether it should be a 5 or not as he's busy trying to kick his bike over for the time he's stopped and I don't know what the rules say about

stalling.

The idiots running the WTC are driving the remaining nails into the coffin of global trials. Only very stupid people would force this rubbish to continue. The riders don't like it, the observers don't like, the spectators don't like it, and everyone leaves a WTC round frustrated. The change to non-stop for WTC rounds was a mistake, but continuing in the face of the evidence is just stupidity.

• Like 2