Adjusting Throttle Cable?

sawtooth

I've ran out of adjustment on the threaded adjuster on the cable down near the carb, adjuster is all the way out but I still have a ton of free play at the throttle tube. So I'm guessing I'll have to adjust it where it is secured inside the carb? So before I pull it apart how is the cable secured inside the carb? And how do I know how much to adjust it by?

I fugure once the carb is assembled that when I let off the throttle tube I'll need to make sure I hear the slide in the carb snap shut, other than that, any tips?

I agree with nelly, buy a new cable....however it is very unlikely that a throttle cable has stretched as not much force is applied at all.

I would suggest against adjusting length on the slide side because if the new cable stop is not thoroughly secured to the cable, it can fail/fall off and will get sucked right through your motor.

rather buy a new one.

I agree with nelly, buy a new cable....however it is very unlikely that a throttle cable has stretched as not much force is applied at all.

I would suggest against adjusting length on the slide side because if the new cable stop is not thoroughly secured to the cable, it can fail/fall off and will get sucked right through your motor.

rather buy a new one.

Why would the new stop fail? How is it secured?

Why would the new stop fail? How is it secured?

If all your adjustments are maxed out, some guys shorten the cable by clipping it shorter and fitting a new stop (little lead ball that hooks into the slide). I have crimped new stops onto cables but should the stop fail, itll full into your carb and get sucked in.

if you dont want to buy a new cable, rather put a spacer in by one of your adjusters.

If all your adjustments are maxed out, some guys shorten the cable by clipping it shorter and fitting a new stop (little lead ball that hooks into the slide). I have crimped new stops onto cables but should the stop fail, itll full into your carb and get sucked in.

if you dont want to buy a new cable, rather put a spacer in by one of your adjusters.

Ah ok that makes sense, didn't realise the stop was crimped on, so that means throttle cables are set lengths tailored for different bike models then.

I've ran out of adjustment on the threaded adjuster on the cable down near the carb, adjuster is all the way out but I still have a ton of free play at the throttle tube. So I'm guessing I'll have to adjust it where it is secured inside the carb? So before I pull it apart how is the cable secured inside the carb? And how do I know how much to adjust it by?

I fugure once the carb is assembled that when I let off the throttle tube I'll need to make sure I hear the slide in the carb snap shut, other than that, any tips?

I think you've got the wrong throttle cable. I've never heard of a cable stretching so much one runs out of adjustment.

Made a little 1mm spacer to go between the outer cable and the throttle tube and thats given me enough tension to allow me to get back on the threaded adjuster.

Also found that I already have a white throttle tube so the one I've just bought will have to wait for my new bike. The throttle doesn't feel quick though :-( It was full of grey dried up gunk and worn plastic so guessing its a bit worn. Either way its all cleaned up, greased and adjusted properly now.

• Like 1