Sy250R Gearbox Fault, Video Attached

jacksongee

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0xyqm3n5nagy5r/2014-07-22%2015.05.09.mp4

Do you know what the fault could be?

There is about 3mm of end play (0mm when the sprocket is attached).

There is little to no noise when the shaft is pulled all the way out but once it is pushed in, the noise you can hear is what you hear in the video.

When riding the bike there is no clicking until you're above about 15mph and the noise is only there when the throttle is open.

Please tell me it's not an expensive problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at this. I am not convinced this is a problem!

The fact the shaft moves in and out and a noise is produced with it in does not appear to be the normal operating condition as there appears to be a gear/ spacer and retaining nut out of situ which would normally hold things from moving in/out that far!

Add the fact you state the noise comes in only at higher speeds under load and this would normally be more of a chain/ gear issue which is not uncommon.

I suggest you re-evaluate with a new sprocket and chain possibly before going further. Even lube can make a difference.

As we have ni idea just how much noise you are hearing, this could be nothing at all. I use WD40 on my chain and it gets fairly rattly after a ride!

Edited by copemech

Bob on copemech, I took the bike to Birkett's and he said the same thing.

The noise was coming from the worn front sprocket hence there only being a noise when power was applied.

The noise was fairly significant and not possible to miss so I am confident the seller knew there was a problem and probably thought it was the gearbox like I did.

Lesson learnt, take the bike for a proper run when testing not just slow speed around a yard.

Thanks to all that looked and commented, a cheap fix has now got me fixed up and ready to ride.